Cyber scouting resources

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WIswampdweller20

Cyber scouting resources

Unread postby WIswampdweller20 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:33 am

Have run into multiple cases of outdated satellite imagery I’ve used for pre scouting being misleading and causing some frustration once boots are on the ground in new places or old haunts where water levels and topography have changed. Particularly looking at wetlands, but really anywhere there have been visible deer trails such as grassy meadows. Does anyone know of a better source for current imagery than Google Earth or OnX?

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Cyber scouting resources

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:54 am

Google Earth is usually a couple of years old at the most. My experience anyway. If you know of or find a resource to get more current imagery than that, please let me know....
WIswampdweller20

Unread postby WIswampdweller20 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:35 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:Google Earth is usually a couple of years old at the most. My experience anyway. If you know of or find a resource to get more current imagery than that, please let me know....

A couple years is an eternity when hunting shore line that’s disappearing into Green Bay over the last couple years. I attempted to walk to some of the marsh “islands” I spotted only to discover they’ve become literal islands- if not gone completely. I also walked about a mile across some meadows to stand of red pines, that I knew held some bedding, this season only to get to my waypoint and scratch my head until I saw some limbs and tops sticking out of the grass. All gone. If Google Earth is the best there is, hopefully it get updated soon.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:04 am

Counties usually have aerials that are within the last year. I use county gis maps more than anything else. Also get better contours. Found some with 1-2’ contour lines on them.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
WIswampdweller20

Unread postby WIswampdweller20 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:19 am

Jonny wrote:Counties usually have aerials that are within the last year. I use county gis maps more than anything else. Also get better contours. Found some with 1-2’ contour lines on them.

Yeahhhhh…Smart. I will definitely check those out. Thanks!
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:53 am

swampdweller, current (weekly) satellite images are available on Caltopo paid version. The resolution is nowhere near Google Earth because it's satellite images (high altitude), not aerial photo's from a plane. But it would certainly be enough to show you which areas are currently under water before you waste your time figuring that out on foot. I use it to determine recent clear cuts and recent beaver pond floodings in northern Wisconsin.
WIswampdweller20

Unread postby WIswampdweller20 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:25 am

KLEMZ wrote:swampdweller, current (weekly) satellite images are available on Caltopo paid version. The resolution is nowhere near Google Earth because it's satellite images (high altitude), not aerial photo's from a plane. But it would certainly be enough to show you which areas are currently under water before you waste your time figuring that out on foot. I use it to determine recent clear cuts and recent beaver pond floodings in northern Wisconsin.

That sounds extremely helpful. I’ll check it out. Thanks!
Mat-Ch-155

Unread postby Mat-Ch-155 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:38 am

I paid for HuntStand pro. It’s got monthly satellite imagery, but the resolution is not really good when you close up. It’s fairly priced I think at roughly 30 bucks a year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”