Is this a big buck bed?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mossberg90MN

Is this a big buck bed?

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:25 am

Found this bed while scouting. I put my back pack in the middle of the bed to give a good visual of the size. There was easily about 1.5ft on each side of the bed left.

Just trying to make sure I’m finding what I’m looking for. There wasn’t any rubs in the bedding area but some on the transition line. Nothing that screamed mature buck, the rubs looked like maybe 2.5-3 year old. But this bed was big. I’m also guessing that this bed is used in the summer and maybe the first week or so of the season. Thought?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tribute80

Re: Is this a big buck bed?

Unread postby Tribute80 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:36 am

I'm don't have much experience finding beds but I'll offer an opinion. Hopefully This thread will move up maybe someone will comment who has more insite.

Early season/summer is a longer pattern, so I would think that bed would be more worn in if it was that time period. As for being a bucks bed, if its a solo bed with good cover I would say the odds are good it is. Did you see any hair in the bed itself? Was there stuff right around it browsed or eaten down? If it is a buck bed could it have been used as temp for him to observe doe travel or doe bedding early rut. It does resemble a bed but the early beds I have seen were worn to the dirt. They were all in the south so it could be different.
P.A.Hunting

Re: Is this a big buck bed?

Unread postby P.A.Hunting » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:40 pm

First look it definitely looks like a bed to me and is bigger in size. When I find beds that I believe to be a mature bucks bed I rub to analyze several things while there. Such as, why would a big buck bed here what advantages does he have and things of those nature. I also check the ground and move leaves and debris if necessary to find hair and possibly some droppings. Think of what wind the deer would be there on and what he can see and can’t, try to find a tree for a future setup and plan a hunt with that wind in mind. As far as sign goes don’t worry too much about rubs right in the bed, all deer are different and some have them and some don’t, time of year when it is used will have a lot to do with that as well. When buck sign in or near bedding is scarce check entire perimeter and try to find some tracks. Check remainder of property for similar bedding areas and then time on stand in season will tell you exactly what you want to know.
“If you hunt like everyone else, expect results like everyone else!” - Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”