A lot of Guys Don't Know About LiDAR Maps

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

A lot of Guys Don't Know About LiDAR Maps

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:23 am

For being a long time member of a tactics based hunting forum, I am pretty terrible at communicating my tactics (because a lot of them I learned here and are well known to the members). However, LiDAR maps are an incredible resource for cyber scouting/e-scouting, and they are one tool that a lot of guys don't seem to know about.

I wrote a blog article about LiDAR maps and how I used them as part of my e-scouting on my recent trip to Iowa. If you're asking yourself "what the heck is LiDAR?", you might want to check the article out!

Article Link:
https://going4brokeoutdoors.com/next-level-e-scouting-for-whitetail-deer-with-lidar/

Here's an exaple of two benches crossing draws that aren't visible on traditional aerial maps or topo maps, but they really pop out on the LiDAR imagery.
Lidar Map Bench 2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Re: A lot of Guys Don't Know About LiDAR Maps

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:42 am

Finding funnels like those would be awesome.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:46 am

I use LiDAR maps a lot when scouting/hunting Iowa hills. Really love the detail and how they give you an excellent feel for the elevation changes way better than topos can. Great for cyber scouting and seeing the terrain exactly how it is. Made things a whole lot easier. I sometimes have a hard time visualizing topos and verifying with LiDAR really confirmed what I was or wasn’t seeing.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:21 pm

I've been using them since learning about them somewhere on here. Really handy to have in new England but not all areas have it at least on the cal topo app. You can plainly see even stone walls that run all through the woods around here which can be used for easy navigation.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:42 pm

Great, now I have something else to obsess over while I am supposed to be working…ha
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:51 pm

I’m not much for technology, so I’ll ask this. What platform are you guys using? Is it free?
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:01 pm

I have it on the caltopo app on my phone. Not sure why I got a double post there but yes it is free. Here's another thread where its explained how to find that map layer in caltopo. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54898&p=892029&hilit=Caltopo#p892029
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:01 am

great article but you forgot to post co-ords, just PM me instead maybe? :lol:

all kidding aside this is a great article that many many deer hunters looking to up their game can benefit from, hope its gets the recognition it deserves! keep up the great content Seaz!!
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:44 am

This is awesome!!!! Seriously, thanks man. I didn't know about this.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:10 am

Good topic. Thanks Jeremy!

Gotta use all the available tools to our advantage. And just because something looks perfect on lidar doesn't mean it's perfect in reality. But it's a great start.

I've heard of them and seen them, just haven't tried to find/use them yet.

That's gonna change. :D
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:55 am

I'm finding that it's showing some details, not on the topo maps in my area. It's helpful.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:09 pm

Great article and example Seaz! Congrats on the awesome buck!!

I've been geeking out over LiDAR maps for a few years now. As you stated, LiDAR reveals subtle features that mature bucks relate to. It doesn't matter if it's hill country, rolling terrain, or flat as a pancake...LiDAR will reveal important terrain.

Example...LiDAR eliminates a lot of the mystery in reading homogeneous swamps. All the little humps and points are easy to see. Almost as easy as a cattail swamp!

Typical aerial of homogeneous swamp

Standard topo view of same area

LiDAR view of same area

I will say that is is extremely helpful to have the LiDAR images on your GPS or phone so you can relate your location to it in real time while your scouting. Having that level of elevation detail also helps predict the dropping thermals at a stand site.

As already mentioned, Caltopo (free version) allows you to see this real time LiDAR data as long as you have cell coverage AND also have LiDAR coverage in your area on Caltopo. As I understand, they hope to have complete USA coverage by 2023....we'll see. Here is a link to show their current coverage
https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=38.7669 ... D%7D%5D%7D

With Caltopo Pro ($50 annual I think), you can generate the LiDAR images into KMZ files and open them in Google Earth. This also allows you to have them on a Garmin GPS as a cutom map.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:01 pm

I sure wish I could find LiDAR in Caltopo. I don't know if Chrome isn't showing me everything or what the deal is but I don't see it & explorer doesn't show anything.

It's kind of frustrating. I could really use that option.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:36 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:I sure wish I could find LiDAR in Caltopo. I don't know if Chrome isn't showing me everything or what the deal is but I don't see it & explorer doesn't show anything.

It's not actually listed as "lidar" in the layers, but if you hit the map layer button on the upper right corner of the map, at the top of the list is "base layers" in the top box select "shaded relief" and the next box down select "normal"
Screenshot_20211204-203728.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:47 pm

Tsom wrote:
DEERSLAYER wrote:I sure wish I could find LiDAR in Caltopo. I don't know if Chrome isn't showing me everything or what the deal is but I don't see it & explorer doesn't show anything.

It's not actually listed as "lidar" in the layers, but if you hit the map layer button on the upper right corner of the map, at the top of the list is "base layers" in the top box select "shaded relief" and the next box down select "normal"Screenshot_20211204-203728.png

Thanks Tsom! I have been using the shaded relief feature. I was looking for the color enhanced images like seazofcheeze's image showed. I thought I might be able to see different colors for slight elevation changes for beds. I guess I'm getting ahead of technology a little. lol

It is helpful for sure in many area's. Thanks again for setting me straight.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”