Help with Topo

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mobymikeguide

Help with Topo

Unread postby mobymikeguide » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:53 pm

Hey guys I need to work on reading topos, I avoided some areas in Missouri last year because not being familiar with hills and it really hurt me. I need to get some practice, this public piece is near my friends hunting cabin that I turkey hunt, its not super hilly but I think its enough to study this map and get out there and see whats what. (I can look at aerial and tell where I would hunt without the topo, there's mixes of different age clear cuts, planted pines, open areas, but I want to just look at the topo first) I was wondering if anyone wanted to mark it up on what they would look at and I could compare with mine and also put some boots on the ground and check it and hopefully learn a little something. Map is correct (north up)file.php
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Help with Topo

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:37 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19217-

Here's the best place to begin.

There are also some great podcasts that unlocked some doors for me. Josh Driver (autumn ninja) on Southern Outdoorsman podcast #141 was sure eye opening for me. Also good stuff from Joe Elsinger (JoeRe) on I think wired2hunt, taking about terrain features creating natural travel ways and funnels.

Right now I'm focusing on deep draw crossings, and where rock formations funnel down benches near bedding areas.

Good luck!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
mobymikeguide

Unread postby mobymikeguide » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:47 am

Thanks for the extra info, i've read alot and studied on maps, but I just haven't put anything into practice yet.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed May 04, 2022 12:41 am

The Hill Country Bedding DVD is really good about showing set ups on topo maps. I would strongly suggest making this purchase.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue May 10, 2022 4:27 am

This is a pretty basic mark up. My suggestion would be try to find topos w lines closer together and it will show more detail. Caltopo 24k is my favorite

Alot depends on the pressure in the area and how far from parking this spot is.

I could see them bedding down wind of the access trail but my favorite spot is the ridge points around that pond. A buck wants multiple options for shifting beds based on the wind. He could walk the 1/3 elevation changing beds w/o anyone seeing him. He can also get water and see very well in that ravine and the access trail. The wind will also be very tough to hunt that spot and that is what they like.

What draws me in to spots are locating very unique terrain features.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue May 10, 2022 4:35 am

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”