Late spring/summer scouting tips?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

upwind predator
500 Club

Late spring/summer scouting tips?

Unread postby upwind predator » Thu May 12, 2022 12:29 am

This spring life took over and I only made it out 3 times before green up so late spring and summer scouting it will be for me this year for the 1st time really. Any tips on how to relate sign to say late October/early November or areas to key in on pre rut and rut, compared to the obvious what will be 1st couple weeks of October hunting sign to key in on. Areas will be bluff/hill country and some river bottom. Farm country I got covered.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Late spring/summer scouting tips?

Unread postby <DK> » Thu May 12, 2022 3:47 am

Watch the weather and plan around it. The humidity and bugs are starting to ramp up.

Tracks! The morning after a rain day is my favorite or the following days after bc I find the best tracks then. The day of a rain day is great too but it is harder to see the sign and tracks are washed out. I try to catch tracks crossing creek bottoms, ditches running up the hill sides or field edges. The best thing about a rain day is that I can get very very close to bedded deer. They seem to be disoriented a bit too.

If youre going to force yourself out in the higher temps then I would suggest just waiting until pre season to gather intel or running cams through the summer. At least then you can locate the oaks that are producing and find some velvet rubs too. Maybe jump one and have confidence to start the season.

Assess the rubs the best you can. Aggressive looking rubs on hard barked trees or a spot w many rubs - I usually chalk up as a rut spot. Thats not always true though, it takes sightings or exp to learn what is happening. Small bushes and underbrush rubs I usually view those as early season. I also relate reddish colored rubs to early season. Some scrapes will still be open as well.
upwind predator
500 Club

Re: Late spring/summer scouting tips?

Unread postby upwind predator » Thu May 12, 2022 5:37 am

Thanks for the tips DK. I know when it's real hot out I'll just scout the 1st couple hours in the morning. Keep info coming guys.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”