Boots on the Ground in Summer

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swiftni

Boots on the Ground in Summer

Unread postby swiftni » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:56 am

How late is too late for boots on the ground summer scouting? Found some decent looking bedding and would like to check it out before season, but I don’t want to get too much scent in there.

Would you just wait until you have a stand on your back to slowly scout your way in for a sit?

Fairly high pressure public swamp bedding (for reference).

PApublic1187
500 Club

Re: Boots on the Ground in Summer

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:20 pm

Late response on this one…..

Depends how bad you want to hunt it, and how close you get to their living room IMHO.

I think if it’s a spot your not 100% sure about, get in there and get some cameras in good inventory locations to really get a gauge of the deer on that piece, but if your not planning on hunting it this year, definitely get some cams in close and don’t think too much about blowing it out IMHO, and use the intel from cameras for next season.

If it’s a spot you’re really confident about how you need to hunt it and when. Just trust yourself and stay out of there and do a hunt with stand on back like you said. If it doesn’t work out you can always push more intrusive and drop cameras and get the same outcome as option 1 stated above
Nothing beats some tree therapy. Deer sightings or not
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:22 pm

Sounds like your confident about it, so I would say trust yourself in the way you need to hunt it and just wait, and maybe while your in there drop a camera after your hunt in the dark if you have predetermined locations you know you want cam.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:26 am

meh, it’s public land get out there and scout it!

It’s always a good time to get in there learn, especially if it’s not your best spot you are saving.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Woodsy211
500 Club

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:50 am

Good advice from both of u guys. Pretty much covers it. Being that it’s public , more than likely there’s gonna be other guys in there. If u haven’t been in there before, I’d suggest go in there sooner than later and check things out. If it’s a spot u have been in before, and have a good idea of where u want to set a stand, then I’d say just go in and hunt it. Most of my best seasons have been from just hunting on the fly.
Woodsy211
500 Club

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:51 am

Good advice from both of u guys. Pretty much covers it. Being that it’s public , more than likely there’s gonna be other guys in there. If u haven’t been in there before, I’d suggest go in there sooner than later and check things out. If it’s a spot u have been in before, and have a good idea of where u want to set a stand, then I’d say just go in and hunt it. Most of my best seasons have been from just hunting on the fly.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:18 am

Go scout it now before they get into their fall pattern.

If it’s identifiable from the map, then make sure you wave for the trail cameras :lol:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:36 am

I say if you need the intel, go in there and get it. People are in the woods regardless.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:05 am

Scouting is for winter and spring. Summer is for planning and beer. An old wise man said that. Lol
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:48 am

Hawthorne wrote:Scouting is for winter and spring. Summer is for planning and beer. An old wise man said that. Lol

:lol:
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:50 am

MichiganMike wrote:I say if you need the intel, go in there and get it.People are in the woods regardless.

Very true
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:02 pm

PApublic1187 wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:I say if you need the intel, go in there and get it.People are in the woods regardless.

Very true

Use it to your advantage. I embrace people pressure. Mature bucks will be either deeper in swamps or double back and be right under your nose. the average hunter will walk right past them.
PApublic1187
500 Club

Unread postby PApublic1187 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:04 pm

MichiganMike wrote:
PApublic1187 wrote:

Very true

Use it to your advantage. I embrace people pressure. Mature bucks will be either deeper in swamps or double back and be right under your nose. the average hunter will walk right past them.

What’s your approach for maneuvering through the thick to get deep for scouting a swamp? especially in this current preseason time?
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:33 pm

I should be more specific here - Scouting for beds should be done in late winter, early spring. Not now. It’s Too close to season. When I say get the intel you need, that means Scout the outskirts and look for travel routes, tracks, droppings etc. not invade beds. Once you get that sign, You should know where their bedding- then get in there deeper and set up
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:54 pm

I’m not sure how much value summer scouting will be for you. Will the deer still be there for the opener if you get onto good sign? It might be a good time to scout for trees holding acorns or nuts and the thickest stuff next to those type of food sources.

I have 5 cell cams out on areas I scouted and found last fall, looked awesome at the time. 1/5 has a decent buck around and 1-2 are about devoid of deer activity. It’s been incredible disappointing so far. Will they eventually show up or was my scouting off? Cameras are staying so we’ll see what shows up.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”