New to topo maps

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bennymj171

New to topo maps

Unread postby bennymj171 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:53 pm

I'm a flat land guy that would like to understand topo maps a little better. This is a piece of private that I have permission on and would like to get your thoughts on. Inside the red area is where I can hunt and would love to see where you guys would scout.
Screenshot (4).png

Here is what I came up with based on what I have learned so. Any advice or tips would be awesome.
Screenshot (5).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mpernest

Re: New to topo maps

Unread postby mpernest » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:00 pm

I would not ignore this narrow tree line with not insignificant slope on either side.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“There is no one else to blame.” -Jocko Willink
bennymj171

Unread postby bennymj171 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:17 pm

mpernest wrote:I would not ignore this narrow tree line with not insignificant slope on either side.

Are you thinking as a travel route or a bedding area?
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:21 am

I would walk this treeline edge at highest elevation looking for bedding or any sign.

Of course I would walk the rest of property too. You should see most the crossings walking along the creek, then you can backtrack following tracks or trails up to the ridge for bedding sign

Not sure if property line is exact but I would suspect bedding on those little points at blue arrow.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
mpernest

Unread postby mpernest » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:19 am

bennymj171 wrote:
mpernest wrote:I would not ignore this narrow tree line with not insignificant slope on either side.

Are you thinking as a travel route or a bedding area?

Well my first thought was bedding. The elevation change and line of sight options create a potential wind to back/eyes to front set up. Don’t trust me on this. One of the pros needs to have a say.
“There is no one else to blame.” -Jocko Willink
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:39 am

I havent had time to mark up a map and upload it.

Pretty easy, cut and dry situation - scout it all. Its a small area and you need to me intimate w every inch of the property.

I agree w mpernest and be sure to check that ditch line.

Check the tops where its thick and has some thick base in the vegetation. Great spots for beds! Walk the 1/3 all along the ridges and walk the creek bottoms to catch tracks/trails crossing to help narrow things down.

The creek intersection looks like a fantastic spot for a trail camera to sit all season

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”