Scrapes in July

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

perchsoup

Re: Scrapes in July

Unread postby perchsoup » Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:50 am

Pretty cool Dan. I’m interested to see how they respond to the camera over a longer period of time.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:02 pm

I have seen my share of scrapes in July. Especially on a day when rains and temps drop a good 25-30 degrees.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:48 am

What I’ve seen on scrapes this time of year is that they rarely touch the scrape but they still will hit the licking branch. Closer to fall they seem to start actually scraping the ground and then really picks up in mid to to later October. I really like this video reminds me of a spot I’ve been trying to figure out for a couple years. It’s a mountain spot and I heard intel that there was a huge buck crossing a road in the area so I put out a few cams to see. Much to my surprise I got pics of the biggest public land deer I’ve ever had pics of in Virginia. Needless to say I’ve been trying to figure him out ever since. I found 2 points that have major bedding on them but about 100 yards further up the mountain those 2 fingers come together and there are several scrapes at the intersection. Gonna push my luck and try a camera in that area hope it’s not too intrusive!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”