Trail cams

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JDraider

Trail cams

Unread postby JDraider » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:25 am

I was able to get out today and I put two cameras up about 150 yards apart on an old fire line that has grown up with weeds with a trail that runs through it. On one side is cypress swamp and the other is mature pines with a pretty good amount of shrubs and undergrowth, but it’s not impenetrable. I have one facing down the trail in an area that has some rubs from last year and the other I put facing down a run line heading into the swamp. Should I not check these cameras and bugger up the area anymore until I plan to hunt? If I check them in a few weeks will there be enough time for the area to recover if I get good Intel? Would I be better off throwing a blind sit at it when the season starts, or should I see what the cameras tell me? My season starts mid September. Thanks for any advice.

Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Re: Trail cams

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:49 am

I personally think you would be fine to check it maybe one time before the season starts....not sure it will be worth it though. Most bucks you have on cam between now and Sept may not be there. But there is a chance they will still be stuck in summer pattern in September and it will be good intel to have.

Obviously it is best to stay out and check it when you go in to hunt to keep all pressure down But I don't think you will put that much pressure if you check it. Also depends on how much they are already getting pressured as well.

Just my opinion.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Chooch2.0

Unread postby Chooch2.0 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:16 am

May not be common practice or frowned upon these days, but if I have to check cameras close to or during season, I’ll always try to do it during a rain event to keep scent contamination at a minimum.
People got lots to say about lives they’ve never lived. Comparison is the thief of joy.
JDraider

Unread postby JDraider » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:19 am

Eddiegomes83 wrote:I personally think you would be fine to check it maybe one time before the season starts....not sure it will be worth it though. Most bucks you have on cam between now and Sept may not be there. But there is a chance they will still be stuck in summer pattern in September and it will be good intel to have.

Obviously it is best to stay out and check it when you go in to hunt to keep all pressure down But I don't think you will put that much pressure if you check it. Also depends on how much they are already getting pressured as well.

Just my opinion.

Thank you for the advice. I’d like to check them at least once to make sure they are operating properly. I had a time with my cameras last year. I bought budget and 5 out of 8 malfunctioned in some form.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:28 am

Chooch2.0 wrote:May not be common practice or frowned upon these days, but if I have to check cameras close to or during season, I’ll always try to do it during a rain event to keep scent contamination at a minimum.

Agree with this. Watch the weather and check it right before a significant rain event.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:35 am

If its an area that gets human travel too, then checking them a couple times is probably ok. I would check them in Mid Aug (to make sure their still working ok) then a few days before your opener.
If you plan on hunting over the top of your cameras, then check them before or during a heavy rain- Dress head to toe in rubber rain gear. Or hunt it on your opener, and check them after. Stay out of there as much as possible.
JDraider

Unread postby JDraider » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:59 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:
Chooch2.0 wrote:May not be common practice or frowned upon these days, but if I have to check cameras close to or during season, I’ll always try to do it during a rain event to keep scent contamination at a minimum.

Agree with this. Watch the weather and check it right before a significant rain event.

I seen a pretty good discussion about water enhancing their smell. Would this not be true because the scent was laid down before the rain event?
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:11 pm

JDraider wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:

I seen a pretty good discussion about water enhancing their smell. Would this not be true because the scent was laid down before the rain event?

No, you just need enough volume of rain to wash away your scent rather than just moisten it. I'd say an inch of rain over a short period of time is going to do the job even with a significant canopy. I started doing cam checks in the rain or just before many years ago and from my experience it definitely does make a big difference when it comes to not disturbing the place. Lots of times I bring an umbrella with me and deploy it at the cam so the inside stays dry when I open it up. I even went so far as to make some silica gel packets to keep in the battery compartments to absorb any moisture that got in during a rainy day cam check.
Chooch2.0

Unread postby Chooch2.0 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:41 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:
JDraider wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:

No, you just need enough volume of rain to wash away your scent rather than just moisten it. I'd say an inch of rain over a short period of time is going to do the job even with a significant canopy. I started doing cam checks in the rain or just before many years ago and from my experience it definitely does make a big difference when it comes to not disturbing the place. Lots of times I bring an umbrella with me and deploy it at the cam so the inside stays dry when I open it up. I even went so far as to make some silica gel packets to keep in the battery compartments to absorb any moisture that got in during a rainy day cam check.

That is some next level thinking, Grizzly! Great tips. Like a bird dog, I can see where “wet” conditions would enhance “smelling ability”. Don’t we humans notice a difference in scent after a fresh summer rain? Of course. The way my pea-sized-brain sees it: dilution. If you urinate 1 Oz in a bottle then fill the rest of it up with water, it probably won’t smell or look TOO much like urine. I still wouldn’t advise drinking it, and I think if you can afford to leave the camera alone, leave it alone. But if you must check - just before or during a heavy rain event.
People got lots to say about lives they’ve never lived. Comparison is the thief of joy.
JDraider

Unread postby JDraider » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:26 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:
JDraider wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:

I like it! Definitely will give this a try. Thank you for the help.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:23 am

Eddiegomes83 wrote:I personally think you would be fine to check it maybe one time before the season .

Agreed. After that leave them until you hunt or have a chance to get back in there.

I like to check mine about a week before bucks start to shed velvet. Id say about 4-5-6 weeks or so in my state. I like to check them on a really good rainy day but that may not happen w this heat wave.
Last edited by <DK> on Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:25 am

JDraider wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:

Yes, that is when the grass is wet it will be enhanced. Dewy mornings or after a rain
Chooch2.0

Unread postby Chooch2.0 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:37 pm

JDraider wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:

Can we bring this back to the forefront? I just heard a very interesting tid-bit from a very, very reputable deer-dog tracker/handler who sees the ambush spots, notes the weather patterns at time of kills, and is claiming the best time to leave MINIMAL scent is heat of the day, and absolutely NOT during or before a rain event where the above statement would be true - your scent will be left behind and then enhanced after the rain event.

That being said, I’ve noticed much better “success” ever since I started checking/setting cams in/before a rain event. Just hard to ignore a guy who blood trails 150+ deer a year.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:23 pm

Chooch2.0 wrote:
JDraider wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:

Can we bring this back to the forefront? I just heard a very interesting tid-bit from a very, very reputable deer-dog tracker/handler who sees the ambush spots, notes the weather patterns at time of kills, and is claiming the best time to leave MINIMAL scent is heat of the day, and absolutely NOT during or before a rain event where the above statement would be true - your scent will be left behind and then enhanced after the rain event.

That being said, I’ve noticed much better “success” ever since I started checking/setting cams in/before a rain event. Just hard to ignore a guy who blood trails 150+ deer a year.

So is rain Goid or bad? :?:
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:49 pm

My interpretation is you have a thick nasty swamp transition meeting open pines. If it was me I would check em when the wind is blowing from the tick to open pines. I wouldn’t screw around either, just grab and go. If you get a pic of a buck u like in a time slot u think u have a chance then slow your roll. If not keep checking or move em.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”