Trail cams

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: Trail cams

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:04 pm

I have talked to multiple trackers and it takes a LOT of rain to wash your scent away. They all agree on this, it’s not even up for discussion ;)

Ask anyone with a pheasant dog. They struggle in dry heat but do very well when it’s cool with plenty of moisture. :whistle:

The best way to keep your scent to a minimum is to keep intrusion to a minimum.

Back to the question of when to check them? I would wait until opening day before your hunt. I checked a cam today that I set in early July. Trails looked good. Card looked good. Couple bucks looked good :L: I will NOT be setting foot in there until opening day.

Pancake

Unread postby Pancake » Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:45 am

I'm checking a few cameras tomorrow, which is about 4 weeks from our opener. I figure that amount of time is plenty for the woods to go back to normal, especially considering that some bucks are going to shift in and shift out between now and then anyway. For what it's worth, I don't expect to hunt these areas on opening weekend either, so that also adds to my confidence with being fine with this approach for these couple spots. But that one-ish month window is my cutoff for going deep. Any other scouting I do after that will be either glassing or checking/pulling cams that are on hiking trails where the deer expect human scent already.
JDraider

Unread postby JDraider » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:10 am

I did go in about 3 weeks ago and moved one of the cameras slightly. I’d like to get in there in a day or two to check again. That will be 3.5 weeks before the opener. I also have a few cameras in a different area that has a scrape line and some aggressively torn up bushes and rubs. ( some of the rubs actually looked like they had a scrape associated with them?). Could that just be because he’s digging into the ground while rubbing? Like I said, the sign looks very aggressive. I’d like to check all the cameras so I can decide where to start. Hopefully I don’t screw it’s up. That area is close to the road, but it has the best sign I’ve seen.
JDraider

Unread postby JDraider » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:32 am

Boogieman1 wrote:My interpretation is you have a thick nasty swamp transition meeting open pines. If it was me I would check em when the wind is blowing from the tick to open pines. I wouldn’t screw around either, just grab and go. If you get a pic of a buck u like in a time slot u think u have a chance then slow your roll. If not keep checking or move em.

Every time I go in here I try to have my wind blowing into the pines, but the wind in Florida is constantly switching directions. Very aggravating. Especially while hunting.
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:32 pm

Ill be checking cams n moving ones as needed to new locations 2 weeks to a week before my states season opens

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”