Public land bullies and thieves

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PAbowhunter10

Re: Public land bullies and thieves

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:29 am

If anyone is having issues with repeat trail camera offenders.....

The best way to catch that individual is to set up a trap. Put a tasco or any cheap trail camera in a easy to access location which you know that scum bag will walk by. Then hang a cell camera 30-50ft away, 15ft up in a tree, aimed directly at the decoy. And put that cell cam in video mode. For extra measures you could also hang a cell cam in the parking lot taking inventory of all the vehicles. Preferably in a location where it will catch license plate numbers. The fact that you have to waste two cell cameras stinks, but if your having issues over and over again, it may be worth it to seal the deal and stick it to the thief.

Then when it comes to prosecution that thief wont have a leg to stand on.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:43 am

PAbowhunter10 wrote:I hope you catch this guy Dan!

These type of people should be taught a lesson. Maybe a good fine and loss of hunting license for a year. I personally don't have time for people like this..... If hunting mature bucks is going to cause you to steal or destroy personal property, maybe you should do some self examination or quit hunting before you ruin the sport for everyone else. Not to mention give hunters a bad name.

Stealing is stealing...... I don't care if its a treestand, trail camera, SD card, or a piece of gum that grab out of someones truck without asking.

Everyone who takes hunting seriously knows its takes hard work to set cameras during July in remote locations. Not only is that individual stealing an $15-$30 card but also the time you have invested in that camera setup.

I have walked by alot of trail cameras on public land. Never once have I tampered with anyones setup. " Do onto others as you would have them do unto you".

100%
Jess

Unread postby Jess » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:02 am

Country wrote:
Jess wrote:
Country wrote:
Jess wrote:I watched the video and I would be irritated as well. My question though is what about tree stands that get set up and left out during the season? What do you do with that scenario? I personally would never take someone's camera, but I would have a hard time not taking down illegal stands on public land. IMO, stealing a card is no different than claiming or stealing a spot with a stand. It's saying "this is my spot, find somewhere else to go, even though the rules say no stands should be left out overnight. Talk about intimidating new hunters...someone claiming their own spot on public land...that's about as intimidating as I can imagine minus a direct threat. What is everyone else's thoughts?

Do you really think stealing a card is the same as leaving a tree stand out on public?

Yes I do, they are both against the law and yes, I will take it down and turn it in if I see it.

Wow. You're going to be a busy guy taking down all of the treestands you find and turning them in.

If you think someone leaving a stand out on public, which I can't stand myself, is equal to someone stealing sd cards and keeping them is the same thing, then there may be no hope for you.

What you permit, you promote...signed -Hopeless
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:16 am

Jess wrote:
Country wrote:
Jess wrote:
Country wrote:
Jess wrote:I watched the video and I would be irritated as well. My question though is what about tree stands that get set up and left out during the season? What do you do with that scenario? I personally would never take someone's camera, but I would have a hard time not taking down illegal stands on public land. IMO, stealing a card is no different than claiming or stealing a spot with a stand. It's saying "this is my spot, find somewhere else to go, even though the rules say no stands should be left out overnight. Talk about intimidating new hunters...someone claiming their own spot on public land...that's about as intimidating as I can imagine minus a direct threat. What is everyone else's thoughts?

Do you really think stealing a card is the same as leaving a tree stand out on public?

Yes I do, they are both against the law and yes, I will take it down and turn it in if I see it.

Wow. You're going to be a busy guy taking down all of the treestands you find and turning them in.

If you think someone leaving a stand out on public, which I can't stand myself, is equal to someone stealing sd cards and keeping them is the same thing, then there may be no hope for you.

What you permit, you promote...signed -Hopeless

I don't want this to get sidetracked about reporting illegal stands. What I disagreed with was your original comment that stealing sd cards is the equivalent to keeping treestands up on public.
Putt400
500 Club

Unread postby Putt400 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:42 am

Not everyone considers the value of SD cards as “pennies”. It costs gas money to drive to these hunting areas along with time mentioned in previous posts. Not all have the same hunting/scouting budget as others. With this being said the thief makes things miserable for others who don’t have the income flexibility but worst of all stole time and overall effort an individual dedicates to the passion we each have for hunting…once a thief always a thief!
“No matter how good or bad your life is, wake up each morning and be thankful you still have one”...Zig Ziglar
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:36 am

Country wrote:
Jess wrote:
Country wrote:

They are both illegal, some one stealing an sd, or someone trying to steal from the public by "claiming" a spot on public by putting up illegal stands to scare off others.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:56 am

Swedishbowhunter wrote:
Country wrote:
Jess wrote:
Country wrote:

They are both illegal, some one stealing an sd, or someone trying to steal from the public by "claiming" a spot on public by putting up illegal stands to scare off others.

BINGO
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:19 am

Dewey wrote:
Swedishbowhunter wrote:
Country wrote:
Jess wrote:
Country wrote:

BINGO

Jaywalking is illegal and stealing my kids sidewalk chalk is illegal too. I'll take the jaywalker.

I'll have to remind myself the next time my SD cards get stolen
...at least there wasn't a permanent tree stand hung here.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:36 am

Country wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Swedishbowhunter wrote:
Country wrote:
Jess wrote:
Country wrote:

BINGO

Jaywalking is illegal and stealing my kids sidewalk chalk is illegal too. I'll take the jaywalker.

I dont see your point, both are illegal, both should get fined. Am I missing something? On the illegal stand thing, you have to remember that we are not the only ones that public land is there for. What picture does it paint about hunters in general when bird watchers or hikers etc see all the crap left out there by illegal stand leaving outlaws? I know I wouldnt like it if they put up an illegal bird viewing platform and left it out there all year.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:00 am

Swedishbowhunter wrote:
Country wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Swedishbowhunter wrote:
Country wrote:
Jess wrote:
Country wrote:

BINGO

I dont see your point, both are illegal, both should get fined. Am I missing something? On the illegal stand thing, you have to remember that we are not the only ones that public land is there for. What picture does it paint about hunters in general when bird watchers or hikers etc see all the crap left out there by illegal stand leaving outlaws? I know I wouldnt like it if they put up an illegal bird viewing platform and left it out there all year.

I'll try to explain it to you. Like I said, I hate when people leave stands out on public land. It's irritating and illegal, like you said..and I never do it. At the end of the day, that person hasn't done a thing to me, however. I can hunt out of his stand or hang one right next to his. Like we've said on this site over and over, if there's a stand there, the spot could be garbage already. It lets a guy know to keep looking. Would you rather that guy that hunts that same tree over and over take it down so you can go waste a hunt there? I know I would, but it definitely gets me thinking. And yes, these illegal stand leaving outlaws could be creating an eye sore for birdwatchers lol.
Physically stealing my personal property that I worked hard for is on a whole different level. I hate people who steal plain and simple. Yes you can say a person is stealing a hunting spot..maybe. I can go find another one that might be even better. I'm not going to go search the swamp for new sd cards. I have to earn the money and buy them.
If I see a guy leaving his stand on public, I'm not going to get into a fight over it. If I catch someone stealing my cards or cameras , it's much more of a possibility.
Maybe we just have different views of what stealing is. If I were too lazy to take my stand down on public land, I probably wouldn't be thinking about it all night. If I stole someone's SD card, I'd probably be lying in bed thinking about what a p.o.s. I am.

Who here would also like to admit they've stolen a card, a camera, or a stand? I'll wait for everyone to reply. Go!
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:10 pm

I think at some point cameras could be made illegal on all public land if this kind of stuff continues to happen. I can just imagine guys fist fighting in parking lots or even worse. If game wardens start getting over burdened with trail camera involved complaints they will eventually say enough is enough. I hope I’m wrong.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:26 pm

Wlog wrote:I think at some point cameras could be made illegal on all public land if this kind of stuff continues to happen. I can just imagine guys fist fighting in parking lots or even worse. If game wardens start getting over burdened with trail camera involved complaints they will eventually say enough is enough. I hope I’m wrong.

People aren't going to stop using cams legal or not.
They can't just change laws everytime they feel like it and expect everyone to follow them.

Not to mention what if a person has a trail cam watch their vehicle at the wma for security and it was broken into due to thieves knowing that if there's no cameras watching them. In my view the individuals who made the law on the would be responsible for encouraging theft.

I didn't follow the unconstitutional mandates during the pandemic or wear a mask and I would put trail cams out one way or another for personal ,vehicle security.

We live in a society that has created so many laws that most people don't even know what they are anymore. More laws isn't the answer it just creates rebellion.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:02 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
john1984 wrote:In Wisconsin , ALL trail cams on public land are supposed to have an identification tag on them .

I have NEVER , EVER seen a identification tag on ANY of the HUNDREDS of trail cams I came about . And I swear on my life , on my children's life, I have never stolen a camera,,.

Last year I stole 2 cheap SD cards that were overlooking a illegal permanent stand , illegal camera, illegal shooting lanes , illegal bait pile .

He's lucky I didn't steal his cams.

I also stole some cigarettes from a gas station after I graduated 2nd grade.

That was 30 years ago

I guess I'm a thief

So you open hundreds of other hunters cams looking for a identification tag. Why do you feel the need to do so?

Thanks for this post. Haha no he hasn't. He's trying to rationalize his post.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:29 pm

Lol...
Andr3wxmma
Facebook: Andrew Mattison

Unread postby Andr3wxmma » Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:44 am

Any other guys from SE Wi, can you explain to me why this is such an epidemic here?

I just got here last year and my only experience with something similar before WI in my 3 years prior of running cell cams was a brush hog eating one on Fort Drum land.

Last year mid season i got an angry text from another beast(i keep my name and number on all my cams to try and work with other hunters in the area) thinking i stole his SD card. In his defense my camera was right next to his ( i never saw his 15ft up in the tree) and i think i actually ran into the culprit opening day because when i was leaving the dude saw me coming down the trail by our cameras and flat out ran out of the woods. At the time i thought the other beast was just was an angry dude without common sense, like who leaves their phone number right by the seen of the crime? but now i know he was probably feeling the way i am now.

Fast forward to yesterday and i decided to go check A camera that have been unresponsive in that area and two that had died. I found that the unresponsive one someone had broke the latch and had taken my SD card and put a new SD in but the new one they put in was larger than the 32mb limit and slower than what the company recommends and it wasn't sending the pics to the app with it. I then decide to go check two other cameras that had died back in Mar but i didn't want to refresh the lithiums until around this time so they'll last until the season; both of these the python locks had been cut and the cameras were gone.

Now i'm 99% sure i have pictures of the SD card incident because the day the new card was put in i had photos of 2 younger guys in the remote area on another elevated camera. Do i setup a camera on the access to that spot and confront the culprits or do i just accept my losses and let this kind of behavior continue? I'm also not a big fan of plastering then on social media because they may have had a good reason that i dont know of yet. I also doubt they're the same person because why would they leave 1 cam but steal the others?

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”