Public land bullies and thieves

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Public land bullies and thieves

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:18 am

john1984 wrote:In Wisconsin , ALL trail cams on public land are supposed to have an identification tag on them .

I have NEVER , EVER seen a identification tag on ANY of the HUNDREDS of trail cams I came about . And I swear on my life , on my children's life, I have never stolen a camera,,.

Last year I stole 2 cheap SD cards that were overlooking a illegal permanent stand , illegal camera, illegal shooting lanes , illegal bait pile .

He's lucky I didn't steal his cams.

I also stole some cigarettes from a gas station after I graduated 2nd grade.

That was 30 years ago

I guess I'm a thief

So you open hundreds of other hunters cams looking for a identification tag. Why do you feel the need to do so?
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:21 am

dan wrote:
Swedishbowhunter wrote:

The guy has to have his name or customer id # clearly labeled on the camera or it is illegal. 2 things, Like someone commented on you tube, place a cell camera up in the air monitoring his camera so you can bust him, or 2 have your warden or sheriff friend take down and hold his camera, leave a note in a zip lock bag with the Sheriff's/ wardens number on it for him to call to get his camera back.

Not sure if you missed it in the video, but his name, phone, address, and DNR number are all on the camera I think is his.

I rewatched the video a few times last night, I still dont see or hear that in the video.
Didn’t GO20

Unread postby Didn’t GO20 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:55 am

It’s terrible the way our world is going today, there is no respect for anyone… we’ve had guys steal our cameras, pull our camera chips, shut our cameras off, and blow our trail cameras apart with shotguns in OH on public.
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:22 am

dan wrote:
Swedishbowhunter wrote:
dan wrote:
Swedishbowhunter wrote:

The guy has to have his name or customer id # clearly labeled on the camera or it is illegal. 2 things, Like someone commented on you tube, place a cell camera up in the air monitoring his camera so you can bust him, or 2 have your warden or sheriff friend take down and hold his camera, leave a note in a zip lock bag with the Sheriff's/ wardens number on it for him to call to get his camera back.

Not sure if you missed it in the video, but his name, phone, address, and DNR number are all on the camera I think is his.

I did miss that, I guess I got confused by you asking "do you know who this is?" as in you were trying to figure out who he was. lol, I guess I may have napped a bit during that part of the video. I usually dont lock my cameras up, but after watching this I guess I better start. I hope you get your SD cards back.

Well, I WAS WAITING FOR THE WARDEN TO DIG INTO the camera info. However, in the meantime the owner of the camera actually got a hold of me after watching the video. Confirmed his kid is the one setting the pic, and the guy trotting past the camera is someone he dont know. so, I THINK THE CAMERA LEAD IS GONE.

Interesting so the guy took your cards but left the other guys. So do you think your set was in a better spot so he is trying to run you out or maybe he had a card reader & new what you had on cam?

I will lose a cam or 2 every season if I leave them out during gun season. But knock on wood have good luck any other time of year.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:24 am

Swedishbowhunter wrote:
dan wrote:
Swedishbowhunter wrote:

I rewatched the video a few times last night, I still dont see or hear that in the video.

I went back and looked for it. Aparently I deleted that part. However. It turned out not to be his camera anyway.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:30 am

john1984 wrote:In Wisconsin , ALL trail cams on public land are supposed to have an identification on them .

I have NEVER , EVER seen a identification tag on ANY of the HUNDREDS of trail cams I came about . And I swear on my life , on my children's life, I gave never stolen a camera,,.

Last year I stole 2 cheap SD cards that were overlooking a illegal permanent stand , illegal camera, ille

So if your going home from work and roll thru a stop sign without fully stopping does that meen your neighbor can come over and take your car?

Trying to find a way to justify theft as this victim deserves it, does not make it ok. Even a game warden or police officer can't steal from you. Its up to a judge and the criminal system to bring justice. Not you.
Didn’t GO20

Unread postby Didn’t GO20 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:37 am

dan wrote:
john1984 wrote:In Wisconsin , ALL trail cams on public land are supposed to have an identification on them .

I have NEVER , EVER seen a identification tag on ANY of the HUNDREDS of trail cams I came about . And I swear on my life , on my children's life, I gave never stolen a camera,,.

Last year I stole 2 cheap SD cards that were overlooking a illegal permanent stand , illegal camera, ille

So if your going home from work and roll thru a stop sign without fully stopping does that meen your neighbor can come over and take your car?

Trying to find a way to justify theft as this victim deserves it, does not make it ok. Even a game warden or police officer can't steal from you. Its up to a judge and the criminal system to bring justice. Not you.
WELL SAID!
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:21 am

It’s bigger than the “Pennies” that the SD card cost. Dan took probably a whole day scouting and making his way through nasty swamp. He’s got more skin in the game than just an average guy. Everyone that works for his company is a stake holder in his efforts. The guys at exodus are too. You and I, who learn a ton from Dan benefit so much from all he shares. It bigger than the cost of the SD card. If it’s not yours, don’t take it.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:45 am

The cost of two high quality SD cards are like the cost of one or two cheap cameras.

He stole, plain and simple. Don’t know why that’s so hard. “Yeah, but it wasn’t anything expensive…” is a lame excuse. Rationalization does not make stealing ok. Did he steal something? Yes. All the rest is bull hockey.

What I wonder is did he just stumble upon it, or did he use intel from your last scouting video to track the spot down? Maybe drove past the parking lot, saw your vehicle, watched the video, etc.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:04 am

Jess wrote:I watched the video and I would be irritated as well. My question though is what about tree stands that get set up and left out during the season? What do you do with that scenario? I personally would never take someone's camera, but I would have a hard time not taking down illegal stands on public land. IMO, stealing a card is no different than claiming or stealing a spot with a stand. It's saying "this is my spot, find somewhere else to go, even though the rules say no stands should be left out overnight. Talk about intimidating new hunters...someone claiming their own spot on public land...that's about as intimidating as I can imagine minus a direct threat. What is everyone else's thoughts?

Do you really think stealing a card is the same as leaving a tree stand out on public?
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:23 am

I really don’t get it. Why is it so hard to comprehend the simple concepts in life.

I have had it all happen to my cams over the years. Stolen cams, stolen SD cards, straps cut and the camera at the base of the tree bear box pried off the tree. I have switched to the cheap Tascos for the most part so when they disappear I’m not out a lot of dollars.

Leave other peoples stuff alone. A thief is a thief. The value of the item is irrelevant when it comes to being a thief. It’s like being a little pregnant. You either are or you aren’t.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jess

Unread postby Jess » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:47 am

Country wrote:
Jess wrote:I watched the video and I would be irritated as well. My question though is what about tree stands that get set up and left out during the season? What do you do with that scenario? I personally would never take someone's camera, but I would have a hard time not taking down illegal stands on public land. IMO, stealing a card is no different than claiming or stealing a spot with a stand. It's saying "this is my spot, find somewhere else to go, even though the rules say no stands should be left out overnight. Talk about intimidating new hunters...someone claiming their own spot on public land...that's about as intimidating as I can imagine minus a direct threat. What is everyone else's thoughts?

Do you really think stealing a card is the same as leaving a tree stand out on public?

Yes I do, they are both against the law and yes, I will take it down and turn it in if I see it.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:12 am

Jess wrote:
Country wrote:

Yes I do, they are both against the law and yes, I will take it down and turn it in if I see it.

Wow. You're going to be a busy guy taking down all of the treestands you find and turning them in.

If you think someone leaving a stand out on public, which I can't stand myself, is equal to someone stealing sd cards and keeping them is the same thing, then there may be no hope for you.
PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:16 am

I hope you catch this guy Dan!

These type of people should be taught a lesson. Maybe a good fine and loss of hunting license for a year. I personally don't have time for people like this..... If hunting mature bucks is going to cause you to steal or destroy personal property, maybe you should do some self examination or quit hunting before you ruin the sport for everyone else. Not to mention give hunters a bad name.

Stealing is stealing...... I don't care if its a treestand, trail camera, SD card, or a piece of gum that grab out of someones truck without asking.

Everyone who takes hunting seriously knows its takes hard work to set cameras during July in remote locations. Not only is that individual stealing an $15-$30 card but also the time you have invested in that camera setup.

I have walked by alot of trail cameras on public land. Never once have I tampered with anyones setup. " Do onto others as you would have them do unto you".
Didn’t GO20

Unread postby Didn’t GO20 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:23 am

PAbowhunter10 wrote:I hope you catch this guy Dan!

These type of people should be taught a lesson. Maybe a good fine and loss of hunting license for a year. I personally don't have time for people like this..... If hunting mature bucks is going to cause you to steal or destroy personal property, maybe you should do some self examination or quit hunting before you ruin the sport for everyone else. Not to mention give hunters a bad name.

Stealing is stealing...... I don't care if its a treestand, trail camera, SD card, or a piece of gum that grab out of someones truck without asking.

Everyone who takes hunting seriously knows its takes hard work to set cameras during July in remote locations. Not only is that individual stealing an $15-$30 card but also the time you have invested in that camera setup.

I have walked by alot of trail cameras on public land. Never once have I tampered with anyones setup. " Do onto others as you would have them do unto you".
:clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”