Public land bullies and thieves

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

nchb

Re: Public land bullies and theives

Unread postby nchb » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:07 am

Honestly Dan, in this post-Christian society we live in, I’m just surprised he didn’t steal both cameras!
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:23 am

That looks like one of the guys from The Hunting Public! Also, Dan if you know a guy who sells climbing sticks, just buy one and start hanging your cams about 8 foot high.

(just kidding!)

Joking aside... This has happened to me several times. Either the card is stolen or both the card and camera is stolen. One time a guy leaned a log against my camera to block its view. I just deflect that stuff and move on. It makes you mad but I never thought their was anything I could do except for to move on. Teaches me its a spot that some one is already creating pressure, contaminating that area and I need to move to a better spot. I would have loved to have a GPS locator on those cameras that I had stolen.

Also been bullied before. one day I had 2 does in the back of my truck that I had legally taken (special reg area with high amount of deer). I was packing up to go home and a "fellow hunter" pulled up behind me in the parking lot and he chewed me out for "shooting half the herd" and "now there's nothing left" and just kept screaming at me. Also had a hunter tell me one time after I drug out a 9 point, "don't come back in here in rifle or his family would shoot me (on public land)." He tried to come off as joking, but he was serious that he did not want me ever to come back to "their" area.

Sorry to hear about covid Dan hope you feel better soon!
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:33 am

You're going to get a name I bet....
john1984

Re: Public land bullies and thieves

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:42 am

At least he didn't steal the camera
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:06 am

I hate thieves. :twisted:

So glad you got a good picture of him. Wonder if he knows yet that he’s being tracked down by a serial killer? Gotta be crapping his pants right now if he knows. :lol:

Lot’s of Beast members in this area. Somebody’s gotta recognize him. Just a matter of time.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:29 am

Yep, he’s toast. I’d bet he’s going to contact you.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:30 am

The guy has to have his name or customer id # clearly labeled on the camera or it is illegal. 2 things, Like someone commented on you tube, place a cell camera up in the air monitoring his camera so you can bust him, or 2 have your warden or sheriff friend take down and hold his camera, leave a note in a zip lock bag with the Sheriff's/ wardens number on it for him to call to get his camera back.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:51 am

Dewey wrote:I hate thieves. :twisted:

So glad you got a good picture of him. Wonder if he knows yet that he’s being tracked down by a serial killer? Gotta be crapping his pants right now if he knows. :lol:

Lot’s of Beast members in this area. Somebody’s gotta recognize him. Just a matter of time.

Hopefully Dan posts it on Facebook too.....we're going to make him famous
Jess

Unread postby Jess » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:36 am

I watched the video and I would be irritated as well. My question though is what about tree stands that get set up and left out during the season? What do you do with that scenario? I personally would never take someone's camera, but I would have a hard time not taking down illegal stands on public land. IMO, stealing a card is no different than claiming or stealing a spot with a stand. It's saying "this is my spot, find somewhere else to go, even though the rules say no stands should be left out overnight. Talk about intimidating new hunters...someone claiming their own spot on public land...that's about as intimidating as I can imagine minus a direct threat. What is everyone else's thoughts?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:45 am

Jess wrote:I watched the video and I would be irritated as well. My question though is what about tree stands that get set up and left out during the season? What do you do with that scenario? I personally would never take someone's camera, but I would have a hard time not taking down illegal stands on public land. IMO, stealing a card is no different than claiming or stealing a spot with a stand. It's saying "this is my spot, find somewhere else to go, even though the rules say no stands should be left out overnight. Talk about intimidating new hunters...someone claiming their own spot on public land...that's about as intimidating as I can imagine minus a direct threat. What is everyone else's thoughts?

If illegal I turn them in. Can’t get upset about one thing and then look the other way for other illegal activities. IMO it’s up to us to police each other. Warden’s can’t be everywhere and they appreciate the tips on illegal activity. You’d be surprised how much an area can get turned around for the better. In the end it puts everyone on an even playing field.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:56 am

Dewey wrote:
Jess wrote:I watched the video and I would be irritated as well. My question though is what about tree stands that get set up and left out during the season? What do you do with that scenario? I personally would never take someone's camera, but I would have a hard time not taking down illegal stands on public land. IMO, stealing a card is no different than claiming or stealing a spot with a stand. It's saying "this is my spot, find somewhere else to go, even though the rules say no stands should be left out overnight. Talk about intimidating new hunters...someone claiming their own spot on public land...that's about as intimidating as I can imagine minus a direct threat. What is everyone else's thoughts?

If illegal I turn them in. Can’t get upset about one thing and then look the other way for other illegal activities. IMO it’s up to us to police each other. Warden’s can’t be everywhere and they appreciate the tips on illegal activity. You’d be surprised how much an area can get turned around for the better. In the end it puts everyone on an even playing field.

Goes back to what our parents taught us…. “how would you like it if someone did that to you?”
We need to police ourselves, we can only control ourselves.

But I understand what you mean and I agree. We are the keepers of the lands and we need to protect them for future generations. I don’t like getting a bad rap based on other people’s indiscretions.
Ryan
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:04 am

Swedishbowhunter wrote:

The guy has to have his name or customer id # clearly labeled on the camera or it is illegal. 2 things, Like someone commented on you tube, place a cell camera up in the air monitoring his camera so you can bust him, or 2 have your warden or sheriff friend take down and hold his camera, leave a note in a zip lock bag with the Sheriff's/ wardens number on it for him to call to get his camera back.

Not sure if you missed it in the video, but his name, phone, address, and DNR number are all on the camera I think is his.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:06 am

2 WRONGS DON'T MAKE A RIGHT... The correct way to handle it if it annoys you is to notify the local warden and they will monitor and try and catch the dude, and if they dont they sell the stand at auction and use the money for law enforcement,
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:56 am

dan wrote:
Swedishbowhunter wrote:

Not sure if you missed it in the video, but his name, phone, address, and DNR number are all on the camera I think is his.

If he follows that stupid law, then he ain't as bad as you think he is.

I'm sure there are a ton of people who don't paste their identification on their trail cams .

Obeying that law could open a person up to being framed or setup.

Cut some trees down , place some illegal bait or an illegal tree stand by a tagged trail cam then call it in for a violation.

Why would an honest guy obey that minor law that most don't obey , yet steal from you??

Yet you have admitted that you have messed with others people's sd cards in the past.

He didn't steal your camera . Your making a mountain out of a mole hill.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”