E Scouting Flat & Thick Swamps

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CEG017

E Scouting Flat & Thick Swamps

Unread postby CEG017 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:35 pm

Hey Guys,

Looking for some tips on E Scouting flat & thick swamps. Curious what you look for in terms of bedding & feeding areas and other things that might stick out to you on a map.
I find that these areas can be a little more difficult to E Scout as everything can look alike. I am assuming this is a cedar swamp but I am not experienced enough with these to tell by looking at a map. To provide an example I am currently looking at a map of a swamp that I have never set foot in, but am keeping it in mind as a place to check out during season. The majority of the swamp all looks the same with the exception of some islands of higher ground that I am assuming are oak islands. I can tell the ground is higher from a topo and I have also overlayed a Lidar map. How would you assume deer are bedding in relation to these areas if they are feeding there? Are they simply bedding on areas of higher ground that can't be seen from a map?

Any help is much appreciated here. Not too experienced with this type of terrain so apologies if these are silly questions!

Thanks

Lockdown

Re: E Scouting Flat & Thick Swamps

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:40 pm

I’ve only been in one cedar swamp and it was tough sledding. It was a bog and a nightmare to navigate when not frozen. They had a ton of bedding options with tiny little humps all over the place. There’s a good chance that if much of it is wet, you’ll want to look for the tallest trees around. Even if its a lone tree. Tallest usually means dryest.

Chances are if it as homogenous as it looks on the aerial, it is a good candidate for gridding. Keep thoroughly scouting chunks in a specific order. If you just walk Willy nilly it’s super easy to miss important info. You never know when you run into something significant that doesn’t show on an aerial. If you can find something like that, you might have a honey hole all to yourself.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”