How much is enough?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swiftni

Re: How much is enough?

Unread postby swiftni » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:45 pm

Evanszach7 wrote:How much depends on the area.

High pressured area with sign usually means other hunters. Where's the buck coming from? Some of my better spots don't have sign, not even in the bedding. Or very very little outside of the beds.

I’m hoping this is the case here. I’m going off a single track and terrain features pointing to be a good bedding area (plus some acorns dropping)

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:50 pm

swiftni wrote:

High pressured area with sign usually means other hunters. Where's the buck coming from? Some of my better spots don't have sign, not even in the bedding. Or very very little outside of the beds.

I’m hoping this is the case here. I’m going off a single track and terrain features pointing to be a good bedding area (plus some acorns dropping)

Big heavy tracks don't lie.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Jrdeerhuntr

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:52 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:
swiftni wrote:

They are gold, you may not know exactly how big the rack is but big mature buck leaves a big mature track 100% of the time.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:19 am

Jrdeerhuntr wrote:
Ghost Hunter wrote:
swiftni wrote:

They are gold, you may not know exactly how big the rack is but big mature buck leaves a big mature track 100% of the time.

Lot hunters wonder how will you know when it is a big track. It will stop you dead in your tracks and you will think that is bigger track than I've been seeing.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Matt6506

Unread postby Matt6506 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:31 pm

I struggle with this question alot. I usually just go with my gut.
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
- Fred Bear
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:11 pm

Im getting ready to ramp up my scouting. Got a hunt 1st weekend Nov.

Gonna scout til i find a spot where I say “ holy moley!” Thats where i’ll hunt. And likely keep scouting cause i have a hunt the next weekend. Then thats it for the year.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:29 pm

Million dollar question isn’t it?

Have you ever tried predicting sign beforehand or while scouting?

My best advice is to learn to predict sign while e-scouting and as you’re walking through the woods. Ask yourself how will the terrain, foliage, access etc all determine where/when/how deer utilize the area.

Things will make more sense when you anticipate it. If something catches you off guard, drop a pin and walk it out, take notes. The “aha” moment may come that day or a year later...
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”