Potential of light trails?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

yellcohunter

Potential of light trails?

Unread postby yellcohunter » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:06 am

Hey y'all, I'm new here. In recent years I have taken to scouting hard (as you should) and I have had some success, but I wanted to pick your brains on something I found recently. I am in Arkansas hill country where bedding can prove difficult to pinpoint, there are so many options. I was checking out some food sources to try and find any trees that are actually producing after the drought we dealt with this summer. I found a very light trail out of that little oak flat that I followed out. It ran between a small hump with just enough elevation to make it impossible to see over on the right and a very steep drop off to the left. It is parallel to some other more heavily used trails about 60 yards to the right that can be found if you walk over the hump. However, there is no sign besides this. Once the woods opened up again that trail became impossible to keep following, it just kind of washed out into the terrail. This was not far below the top of one of many fingers coming off of a main ridge, the south side of the ridge. Could this be a buck trail used by an old guy apart from the main highway or is it more likely it its just some random game trail that means nothing? Thanks in advance, excited for this year!

Ghost Hunter

Re: Potential of light trails?

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:37 am

Did you see any big tracks or droppings or something. Course I don't think I would go look now.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:32 am

If there was good sign or it leads to buck bedding I would say it’s a buck trail. But if it’s just a lighter used trail with no other sign it’s probably just a less used trail. I would try to follow it out if you’re not sure but those light trails can be hard to follow.

I had my dog with me on a scouting trip last year and he followed out a light trail and lead right to bedding….and guess what trail the buck I killed was on

They can be good but there should be some kind of sign
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:44 am

Its kinda been told, a light used trail below a heavier trail is a buck trail. Like brancher147 mentioned, sometimes its just a lightly used trail

Could be when the thermals are lower being used then, or just hardly used. If its a “buck” trail below a heavier used trail, then there is also a time of year that trail is used. That time of year he will be leaving sign. So if its a buck trail there should be buck sign…. “Should be” hahaha
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:16 am

brancher147 wrote:If there was good sign or it leads to buck bedding I would say it’s a buck trail. But if it’s just a lighter used trail with no other sign it’s probably just a less used trail. I would try to follow it out if you’re not sure but those light trails can be hard to follow.

I had my dog with me on a scouting trip last year and he followed out a light trail and lead right to bedding….and guess what trail the buck I killed was on

They can be good but there should be some kind of sign

So I’m not the only one that scouts with their dog lol. My dogs sure lead me to a lot of sign

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”