Scouting Help

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Powhound84

Scouting Help

Unread postby Powhound84 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:08 am

What’s up guys? Wondering if anyone has any input on how to hunt this spot. The blue boxes are areas I have permission to hunt. There is a forest preserve that runs along the creek where I have drawn the purple line. I have pictures of a real nice buck where the red dot is. The corn is all still in the surrounding fields so I’m planning on limiting hunting pressure until they are out but wondering where you guys would look to set up while the corn is still up, as well as after it comes out. I walked the woods and didn’t find any scrapes or rubs, making me think he’s just passing through between the forest preserve and the fields. Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Powhound84

Re: Scouting Help

Unread postby Powhound84 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:13 am

Forgot to mention there are white oaks dropping tons of acorns throughout the woods and it’s thick with 4/5’ tall weeds throughout most of it.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:47 am

What does the topo map look like? And what was the wind direction? Hard to tell but it looks like he was at the top of a small ravine or ditch?
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Powhound84

Unread postby Powhound84 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:55 am

It’s super flat, there is another creek that runs from the ne corner toward the sw corner. There is a thinner blue line in that picture that represents that creek. Creek sits about 8’ below the field edges with trees on both sides but there are very few to trees to set up in. Found some beds along that creek on the north end of the property but it’d be really hard to hunt anywhere near them. The wind can be from any direction. Toward the south of the property, there is a oxbow in that creek that looked promising, especially once the corn is out.

The pics were taken in a small clearing in the end of that woods by a big white oak with acorns on the ground. All pics have been after sunset or before sunrise.
Last edited by Powhound84 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Powhound84

Unread postby Powhound84 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:59 am

A hybrid pic:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Powhound84

Unread postby Powhound84 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:13 am

The buck:
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:20 am

Powhound84 wrote:A hybrid pic:

There is a little bit of elevation there, and a point right about where the buck was. They use small elevations differences too, not just big ones.
Powhound84

Unread postby Powhound84 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:32 am

The topo is deceiving. It’s very flat, with the exception of the creek bed. That’s just where the contour line falls on the map but it’s no more than a couple feet elevation change over 100+ yards. The creek bed is significant from an elevation standpoint though.

Edit: There might be more slope out in the corn field to the west of where the pics were taken but I can’t tell since the corns still in. The woods are flat.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:31 am

I would check the creek all along where you have permission and look for crossings and try to figure out travel routes.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”