Topo Help

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

sloughdog

Topo Help

Unread postby sloughdog » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:10 am

2F94B414-C131-4EB8-A736-E7EA5C5F1985.png
Want to see if I’m on the right track in scouting this area. I left it blank intentionally to compare my notes to yours. Little background on this area:
1. It is steep and rocky. Boulders to softball size and very difficult to walk. Woods is relatively open.
2. Lots of oak, hickory, black cherry.
3. Springs all over the mountain and a creek in the valley so water is not an issue.
4. No access from the top. All access is from the bottom so to get in it’s all uphill.
5. Little hunting pressure in this area due to terrain.

Probably forgetting a lot and will add in detail if needed. Thanks for your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Re: Topo Help

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:47 am

Is there any ag or other food sources you have identified nearby or in there and what's the prevailing wind direction?
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:59 am

No ag for miles upon miles.
Prevailing wind is typically from the west and north but in this area the wind blows every which way (which is typical on PA mountains). I was dropping milkweed in this area last week and had it blowing down the mountain one minute and blowing up the mountain the next.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:46 am

Without knowing much about the place I would start by walking this edge. I like the way the terrain creates all those bumps and fingers along that edge. I would think that would make for some good bedding locations with the prevailing winds.
Screenshot_20221026-164132~2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:50 am

I know that area. Its my home turf too. I don't hunt it anymore though. But i know exactly where the bedding is from boots on ground scouting. That big bench that runs all along the mountain half way ul in elevarion is 90% of the buck travel. All those points off the bench hold all the bedding. Laurel thickets that you can only find from scouting on foot are extra good for bedding. In between each point where the hollows (drainages) come up to a head at the bench elecation is great funnels in rut. If you walk it now you'll see concentrations of rubs at each drainage head.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:51 am

Grizzly beat me too it.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:08 am

Good stuff guys thank you. I’ve spent a lot of time in this area since moving back and feel like I’m overlooking/missing details so wanted some fresh eyes on it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”