In season scouting after a kill

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mtnmonster

In season scouting after a kill

Unread postby Mtnmonster » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:05 am

I figured after my Thanksgiving buck, I'd try to go back to the spot I shot him and investigate some time this week. Kind of learn how he was using the area. This WMA is 1000 acres split up into several smaller properties and is heavily pressured from both the public and surrounding private. I guessed my buck to be 3.5 years old and my thinking is other bucks his age or older would gravitate to spots like this. I don't think I will get on another buck in there, but who knows. I just want to try to figure the how, when, and why he was there and make sure it wasn't just and area he was passing through just for rut.

Would there be any type of sign I should look for that would tell me bucks are there often or staying there vs just a rut cruising area? Looking for tracks probably won't help much because it's been a very dry fall and the ground is pretty hard. I know there are well used trails and a few small rubs. I did find one bed with a decent rub in it. Other than that I don't know anything about this property.

I know there are alot of turkeys in that area so I can do some scouting in the spring while turkey hunting to see if any big deer are still using the area.

NorthStar
500 Club

Re: In season scouting after a kill

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:32 am

I am trying to figure out this as well. Unless the rules on trail cams have changed in my state, I don't really have the luxury of taking inventory. We do get plenty of snow, so I could look for tracks coming out of bedding. I would think tracks would be our best bet. I do have a few food sources I could check for big buck sized poop but other than that, not sure how to tell if a shooter is calling this place home.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Mon May 08, 2023 11:52 am

I went back to the area I shot my early season (10/9) buck, and didn’t see diddly squat for sign. The area gets abandoned as soon as the first few frosts hit because all the cover drops and it opens things up. This also means there isn’t a lot of sign left over because it’s being laid down when everything is green. It’s an area I have to observe or put a camera down to find out what’s around.

I found another spot that appears similar, did have some good buck droppings which appeared very dried out and old, telling me it’s probably an early season spot.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:42 am

We were doing some in-season scout & hang hunting and found a ton of old buck activity - not sure when it was laid down, likely first archery, but where'd he go from there? A ride in a pickup or bumped out or just moved for seasonal kind of thing?

It's on my check that area out again list.
Woodsy211
500 Club

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:51 am

Mtnmonster wrote:I figured after my Thanksgiving buck, I'd try to go back to the spot I shot him and investigate some time this week. Kind of learn how he was using the area. This WMA is 1000 acres split up into several smaller properties and is heavily pressured from both the public and surrounding private. I guessed my buck to be 3.5 years old and my thinking is other bucks his age or older would gravitate to spots like this. I don't think I will get on another buck in there, but who knows. I just want to try to figure the how, when, and why he was there and make sure it wasn't just and area he was passing through just for rut.

Would there be any type of sign I should look for that would tell me bucks are there often or staying there vs just a rut cruising area? Looking for tracks probably won't help much because it's been a very dry fall and the ground is pretty hard. I know there are well used trails and a few small rubs. I did find one bed with a decent rub in it. Other than that I don't know anything about this property.

I know there are alot of turkeys in that area so I can do some scouting in the spring while turkey hunting to see if any big deer are still using the area.

U mentioned the dry leaves, u should still be able to see tracks in the dry leaves. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but my old man has tracked several bucks down on dry leaves. I think it really comes down to what ur eyes are lookin for at any given time. I’d have to say, since u took that one buck, somebody is gonna move in as his replacement without a doubt.
Woodsy211
500 Club

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:56 am

NorthStar wrote:I am trying to figure out this as well. Unless the rules on trail cams have changed in my state, I don't really have the luxury of taking inventory. We do get plenty of snow, so I could look for tracks coming out of bedding. I would think tracks would be our best bet. I do have a few food sources I could check for big buck sized poop but other than that, not sure how to tell if a shooter is calling this place home.

Ideally I like to hunt new spots with snow during a gun season. This gives me the opportunity to still hunt/track deer with the potential for a shot. It can be hard to figure out a new spot, which is where snow on the ground has been key for me. If I can’t find a track that looks like a big buck, I take whatever I can find and it pretty much always leads to something better. Whether it’s a bigger track to follow , or an area off the beaten path that deer are using heavily. To be honest, that’s basically how I find all my mountain area/backwoods cam locations, and places as a destination to hunt. One other thing, these locations are usually VERY remote, 2-3 hour hike
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:01 am

Woodsy211 wrote:
NorthStar wrote:I am trying to figure out this as well. Unless the rules on trail cams have changed in my state, I don't really have the luxury of taking inventory. We do get plenty of snow, so I could look for tracks coming out of bedding. I would think tracks would be our best bet. I do have a few food sources I could check for big buck sized poop but other than that, not sure how to tell if a shooter is calling this place home.

Ideally I like to hunt new spots with snow during a gun season. This gives me the opportunity to still hunt/track deer with the potential for a shot. It can be hard to figure out a new spot, which is where snow on the ground has been key for me. If I can’t find a track that looks like a big buck, I take whatever I can find and it pretty much always leads to something better. Whether it’s a bigger track to follow , or an area off the beaten path that deer are using heavily. To be honest, that’s basically how I find all my mountain area/backwoods cam locations, and places as a destination to hunt. One other thing, these locations are usually VERY remote, 2-3 hour hike

Good points. The problem in my area, is that the timeframe we have snow, is a very different timeframe from the early season and all the way up till Halloween. In other words, the sign discovered in the snow, will only help me in determining what the deer are doing later in the season.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Woodsy211
500 Club

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:49 am

NorthStar wrote:
Woodsy211 wrote:

Good points. The problem in my area, is that the timeframe we have snow, is a very different timeframe from the early season and all the way up till Halloween. In other words, the sign discovered in the snow, will only help me in determining what the deer are doing later in the season.

Yea for sure. That’s been my strategy for locating the smaller sections in the big woods areas. Then I’ll go back in the spring and summer to pick things apart a little more. Farmland and smaller patches I’d prefer no snow to scout.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”