Spartan Forge Reviews

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CEG017

Spartan Forge Reviews

Unread postby CEG017 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:40 pm

Hey Guys,

Curious of your thoughts on Spartan Forge. Been using Onx for a few years now and like it but I am intrigued by Spartan Forge.
I like the idea of having historical weather data, journaling, and multiple layers of imagery. Plus its like the same price as Onx.

Also for those that do use it have you ever transferred your pins from a different app?

Let me know your thoughts!

roosterstraw

Re: Spartan Forge Reviews

Unread postby roosterstraw » Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:38 am

I had it and canceled it. They’re uav imagery is only in certain areas and they have no idea when it will expand. And they’re historical weather data doesn’t show daily temperatures. I decided to stick with onx.
-db-

Unread postby -db- » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:09 am

They don't cover my part of Michigan.
Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. - Fred Bear

@upnorthoutdoors989
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:20 am

I had it but went back to onx. Didn’t really give SF a fair try because I couldn’t transfer points from onx. I think now you can. It seemed clunky compared to onx but I was used to onx. Think I will just stay with onx, also most my friends have onx so it’s easy to share info. I had no interest in the deer movement predictions. Never tried the weather or anything else just used the maps.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Rich3006
Facebook: richardreiser2000@yahoo.com

Unread postby Rich3006 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:49 pm

Canceled my subscription before the trial was up. Maps don't cover any state I hunt. Shows potential but is incomplete.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:27 am

I’ve made the switch from onX to SF. Bill’s a good dude bringing the system along at what I consider a healthy pace. I got in on it very early on so the cost to me is stupid cheap. He won’t speak in depth on his weather algorithm but I’ve never seen anything come close to the hour to hour by location weather prediction. That alone is worth what I pay for it. I know about some things that will be released that I’m not sure I can talk about (full disclosure I am not friends with bill or working with Bill other then reporting bugs and function issues I have access to some people that are directly working with SF.). What I can say is if a quarter of what I’ve been told is on the board that they are working on no other App is going to come even close to competing.

That said I agree it is more clunky then onX and takes some getting used to. But the team is extremely responsive to bug reports. Also being able to transfer pins in mass is the main thing that has me permanently switching over the other thing is that my free three years of onX premium ran out and $100 a year is stupid.

As far as mapping make sure you know how to change map settings their are a lot of options. The deer prediction stuff isn’t much of a value add for me in FL as rut data is horrible that is available. To which I am told that as they get more data point responses from users they are adding them into the algorithm when there is enough points on an area for the data to say there is a need.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:54 am

The only thing i like about it was when laying a track it had and aarow showing which way you are facing.

Onyx has it but as soon as you zoom in or out it goes away
Tcreaser86

Unread postby Tcreaser86 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:32 pm

Personally I run both , right now . If I had to pick it would be onX but I do prefer scouting maps on spartan forge . I like the 3D topo maps more and how some maps backgrounds are laid out . So what I’ve been doing is cyber scouting with spartan forge and actually boots on the ground with onX . Plus I think I may drop to many way points on my onX lol it’s a clutter of way points and can get annoying when trying to cyber scout so I use the spartan forge for a cleaner view , I feel there 3D model gives you a better feel in hill country too .
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:22 am

Tcreaser86 wrote:Personally I run both , right now . If I had to pick it would be onX but I do prefer scouting maps on spartan forge . I like the 3D topo maps more and how some maps backgrounds are laid out . So what I’ve been doing is cyber scouting with spartan forge and actually boots on the ground with onX . Plus I think I may drop to many way points on my onX lol it’s a clutter of way points and can get annoying when trying to cyber scout so I use the spartan forge for a cleaner view , I feel there 3D model gives you a better feel in hill country too .

I use that feature a lot in Florida we generally have very little elevation change but it will exaggerate what we do have which can be very helpful
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:59 am

Tried SF and canceled because it didn’t have uav of my area. If I’m gonna study maps I haven’t seen anything that beats CalTopo. If I’m looking for in field use I’ve been using oNX for years but their terrain shading and topo is subpar and the satellite for my area isn’t very good. I’ve been using Gaia gps app for a couple weeks now.
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:04 pm

I’ve been messing around with spartan forge and have the same comments as others. I like it but am still using Huntstand.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”