911 - I’m lost in Jackson marsh...

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

911 - I’m lost in Jackson marsh...

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:21 am

FB_IMG_1678123175968.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dewey

Re: 911 - Im lost in Jacson marsh...

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:31 am

Mommy help. I’m cold and lost. :lol:

I’m gonna use that next time I’m deep in a marsh and too tired to drag a deer out. :shifty:
Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: 911 - I’m lost in Jackson marsh...

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:44 am

They should of called Jackson Marsh to help out at Jackson Marsh
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:23 am

:lol:

If you're familiar with the area, it's hilarious :lol: .

Ice rescue suits and inflatable boats?? Unbelievable. It wasn't that cold, 35 to 40 degrees.

Hopefully momma made him cocoa.
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:30 am

I looked on onx how big the Jackson marsh is. I thought it was big the way it sounds but it don’t seem that big. But idk.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:31 am

I was almost in a pickle on a piece of public that had a ton of channels dug through out the property. When I went to cross the channel, it looked about a foot deep and it was about 15' across, I got about 5' out into it & sunk to about my waist(i had waders on). Not scary at first but i kept sinking, I never did feel bottom. I was suctioned in and still sinking. I leaned back and was lucky to grab some red brush. It was just strong enough to eventually pull myself out. I found another spot to cross and kept making my way towards the river I wanted to get to. I was going thru the cattails that had a floating bog as a bottom. Well, i finally broke thru the bog & one leg went thru & I went right down to my tea bag, again I never felt bottom. At that point I decided I shouldnt do this alone, or at least not when it was that cold out, so I got the heck out of there. I still havent went back.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:49 am

I walked across a bottom where I saw some tracks crossing and I was about ankle deep in black muck with a firm bottom. Until there wasn't on the next step. Sunk to my crotch with one leg and eventually I had to decide whether it was me or my hip boot was going to remain stuck in the muck. I chose to leave the hip boot and slowly extricated myself. Tried to pull on the boot but it was completely locked in there despite my foot being out. So the swamp has a souvenir hip boot and I did the walk out in my cold, wet sock.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:33 am

Give that kid your phone # so he know how to call next time.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:25 pm

greenhorndave wrote:I walked across a bottom where I saw some tracks crossing and I was about ankle deep in black muck with a firm bottom. Until there wasn't on the next step. Sunk to my crotch with one leg and eventually I had to decide whether it was me or my hip boot was going to remain stuck in the muck. I chose to leave the hip boot and slowly extricated myself. Tried to pull on the boot but it was completely locked in there despite my foot being out. So the swamp has a souvenir hip boot and I did the walk out in my cold, wet sock.

That is exactly the same situation as mine!!! The thought of leaving my waders was definitely strongly considered, but the idea of hiking out soaking wet with no boots was a strong motivator to get them out!! I give you lots of credit walking out without a boot!! Also, I wonder what happened to the guy that left the tracks you were following? lol
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:26 pm

Swedishbowhunter wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:I walked across a bottom where I saw some tracks crossing and I was about ankle deep in black muck with a firm bottom. Until there wasn't on the next step. Sunk to my crotch with one leg and eventually I had to decide whether it was me or my hip boot was going to remain stuck in the muck. I chose to leave the hip boot and slowly extricated myself. Tried to pull on the boot but it was completely locked in there despite my foot being out. So the swamp has a souvenir hip boot and I did the walk out in my cold, wet sock.

That is exactly the same situation as mine!!! The thought of leaving my waders was definitely strongly considered, but the idea of hiking out soaking wet with no boots was a strong motivator to get them out!! I give you lots of credit walking out without a boot!! Also, I wonder what happened to the guy that left the tracks you were following? lol

He got swallowed up lol
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:42 am

Funny, I saw this story elsewhere and I was thinking, "Hmmm I thought Jackson Marsh was a guy on the Beast forum...." and then it clicked it's also a real place. :lol:
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:09 am

Huntress13 wrote:Funny, I saw this story elsewhere and I was thinking, "Hmmm I thought Jackson Marsh was a guy on the Beast forum...." and then it clicked it's also a real place. :lol:

Now we know where Neil shoots all of his big bucks!!!!! :mrgreen:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:27 am

Scouting marshes in SE WI has been tough this year with the warm weather and lack of solid ice. Been knee deep a few times and crossed some ice that looked pretty sketchy without knowing how deep the black silt/water slurry beneath was. Did that quick walk as lightly as you can scoot across a few spots that were really a thrill as i expected to get dunked :D

Pretty sure the nice easy frozen marsh scouting is all done for the year after this week. Time to bring out the waders and get beasty before the skeeters and poison sumac wreck all the fun.

Can’t believe all they went through for this guy though, geez. Guess swamp hunting isn’t for everyone.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:59 am

I walked 19 miles the last three times out scouting, a lot in cattails/crossing ditches and haven’t been past ankle deep. (Not Jackson Marsh) Cattail ice was all still plenty solid and water levels are WAY below where they should be for spring. I’m a bit more north so obviously ice is a bit different even 20 miles south.

It’s all about common sense. If water is flowing to certain areas obviously avoid that ice especially if moving water underneath. I learned the hard way a few times.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:21 am

People should have to pay for their rescue. That's how they do it in NH when the inevitable dope gets stranded on Mt. Washington.

Being stupid should hurt...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”