How late is too late - deep in the marsh

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

swiftni

How late is too late - deep in the marsh

Unread postby swiftni » Fri May 05, 2023 8:47 am

I was reflecting on my post season scouting and I came up with an “interesting” idea. This involves some crazy water access and making sure I have a good prepped spot in the cattails (thanks Dan for the feedback on an earlier post on how to make this work).

This is a gnarly nasty bedding area with a network of trails connecting different bedding locations. I’m inclined to set up on one of the network trails and try to target this spot during rut.

How late is too late to go back in there and make that deep intrusion to set up a kill location? I have my waders in my truck.

swiftni

Re: How late is too late - deep in the marsh

Unread postby swiftni » Fri May 05, 2023 9:33 am

I should note that I want to hunt the exit trails from this bedding area early season too, so I don’t want to totally blow it up before season.
Jake33

Unread postby Jake33 » Fri May 05, 2023 3:33 pm

No time like the present! I say ASAP. Better to get in now before green up and it gets hot out.
...you go up that ridge, I'll go down in the swamp.... We'll get that buck.
swiftni

Unread postby swiftni » Sun May 07, 2023 10:47 am

It was worth a shot, but my water access would only work if I was willing to swim. Going to have to find another way.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Mon May 08, 2023 1:29 am

I've thought about this for a spot near me, but have never actually done it. Bring an inflatable innertube with a hand pump, pump it up when you get to the spot with water. Put bow and backpack on lap and paddle over the water to the other side.

I might add that if you actually shoot something you would need an extra inflatable tube and rope to haul it back. Just an idea...
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon May 08, 2023 1:54 am

HunterBob wrote:I've thought about this for a spot near me, but have never actually done it. Bring an inflatable innertube with a hand pump, pump it up when you get to the spot with water. Put bow and backpack on lap and paddle over the water to the other side.

I might add that if you actually shoot something you would need an extra inflatable tube and rope to haul it back. Just an idea...

I tried this last year.
I tried a 2 person tiny raft from index came with a pump.
I wanted too use it too cross about a 15- 20 foot wide river. .

Walked all the way back with it in backpack and it wasn't light after awhile. When I tried too pump it up the pump broke and I was not having a fun day.

If you decide on a small raft buy a quality pump not the one that comes in the index box lol.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
swiftni

Unread postby swiftni » Tue May 09, 2023 7:37 am

HunterBob wrote:I've thought about this for a spot near me, but have never actually done it. Bring an inflatable innertube with a hand pump, pump it up when you get to the spot with water. Put bow and backpack on lap and paddle over the water to the other side.

Believe it or not I was on Amazon looking at packable inflatable rafts shortly after that trip. Might go that route. Getting one out isn’t an issue, I just have to access in a way that would get me busted/blow up the whole area.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:39 am

Take a look at Duckworks, 1-sheet skiff, and mouse boats. You can also look for hybrid duck boats but I stopped doing that a long time ago.

I'm not into taking inflatables hunting - these little microboats I'm talking about can be built with 1 sheet of plywood and glassed, will last years. Use a couple pool noodles for flotation foam and along the edges and you have a safer and possibly quieter platform.

Just check em out.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”