Strangest/Coolest things found in woods

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Re: Strangest/Coolest things found in woods

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:46 pm

I took a hike up the hill through the woods behind the house a couple weeks ago. When I got to the top, I made out a clearing ahead that I had recognized from cyber scouting and decided to investigate. There is an old graveyard up there, with around 30-50 graves, actually within my property lines! Most of them are just marked with rocks, but there were a few readable headstones. The most recent I could find died in 1905... Our house was built in 1900. Another lady was the mother of 9. Pretty neat find.
And all this time I had been eyeing that spot on satellite as a potential food plot site. :lol:

Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:38 pm

wolverinebuckman wrote:I took a hike up the hill through the woods behind the house a couple weeks ago. When I got to the top, I made out a clearing ahead that I had recognized from cyber scouting and decided to investigate. There is an old graveyard up there, with around 30-50 graves, actually within my property lines! Most of them are just marked with rocks, but there were a few readable headstones. The most recent I could find died in 1905... Our house was built in 1900. Another lady was the mother of 9. Pretty neat find.
And all this time I had been eyeing that spot on satellite as a potential food plot site. :lol:

The land is probably well fertilized. Lot’s of calcium deposits. Food plot should grow well! :shifty:

:o
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:47 pm

wolverinebuckman wrote:I took a hike up the hill through the woods behind the house a couple weeks ago. When I got to the top, I made out a clearing ahead that I had recognized from cyber scouting and decided to investigate. There is an old graveyard up there, with around 30-50 graves, actually within my property lines! Most of them are just marked with rocks, but there were a few readable headstones. The most recent I could find died in 1905... Our house was built in 1900. Another lady was the mother of 9. Pretty neat find.

They should of disclosed a grave yard was on the land before you bought it? Maybe they didn’t know. Anyhow, one of my best spots I have to walk by a graveyard in the dark . Gets my senses going. Lol
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:32 am

You want poltergeist?? Cuz thats how you conjure poltergeist. :lol:
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:53 am

Dewey wrote:

The land is probably well fertilized. Lot’s of calcium deposits. Food plot should grow well! :shifty:

:o

I had considered tossing out some Throw and Grow, but wasn't quite sure what would pop-up! :?
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:57 am

Hawthorne wrote:

They should of disclosed a grave yard was on the land before you bought it? Maybe they didn’t know. Anyhow, one of my best spots I have to walk by a graveyard in the dark . Gets my senses going. Lol

There are a lot of graveyards scattered around the hills out here. Must not be much an issue to Kentucky folks? I think many of them were old family plots.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:02 am

Crazinamatese wrote:

You want poltergeist?? Cuz thats how you conjure poltergeist. :lol:

No thanks! Fortunately, I don't think it's a native burial site :o
I do, however, know where the first wave will come from when the zombie apocalypse begins! :lol:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:38 am

Coolest thing I’ve found is the an old rock foundation of a house. Nothing too crazy minus where it was located. It’s on an island smack dab in the middle of one of the biggest public tracts I know of. Maybe water levels were different when it was built, but the water was thigh deep on the side I accessed from. Had to go across a couple hundred yards of cattails and open water :think: and it’s a mile from the nearest road. I have no idea how you haul huge rocks and pour/mix concrete when you’re THAT remote.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:08 am

Used to hunt this area called the Jefferson Proving Grounds. It was a drawn in deal. All manner of unexploded ordinance laying around.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:43 am

Lockdown wrote:Coolest thing I’ve found is the an old rock foundation of a house. Nothing too crazy minus where it was located. It’s on an island smack dab in the middle of one of the biggest public tracts I know of. Maybe water levels were different when it was built, but the water was thigh deep on the side I accessed from. Had to go across a couple hundred yards of cattails and open water :think: and it’s a mile from the nearest road. I have no idea how you haul huge rocks and pour/mix concrete when you’re THAT remote.

Probably built during the "dust bowl" days. Maybe the area was drained at one time!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:55 pm

stash59 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Coolest thing I’ve found is the an old rock foundation of a house. Nothing too crazy minus where it was located. It’s on an island smack dab in the middle of one of the biggest public tracts I know of. Maybe water levels were different when it was built, but the water was thigh deep on the side I accessed from. Had to go across a couple hundred yards of cattails and open water :think: and it’s a mile from the nearest road. I have no idea how you haul huge rocks and pour/mix concrete when you’re THAT remote.

Probably built during the "dust bowl" days. Maybe the area was drained at one time!!!

That’s the only thing that makes sense. Looking at it now just blows my mind.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:00 pm

AfootTrack56 wrote:Image

I was doing some scouting around in a new area in Arizona and found this rock face with petroglyphs all over it. I have no idea what they mean, but it’s kinda cool to think that someone was once standing there with a rock in their hand carving in the designs.

That is some amazing stuff there!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
mrbengel22

Unread postby mrbengel22 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:38 am

A few years ago I was Spring turkey hunting a property I hunt which is close to the PA/OH border. I saw the corner of what I thought may be an old yellow posted sign sticking out of the ground. I uncovered it and it was an old Ohio hunting license dated 1938! I carry it with me now, it stays in the ziploc bag where I keep my current PA license zip ties etc. I often wonder about the individual who carried that license, about his life back then and his hunting experiences. I have even thought about reaching out the the Ohio DNR to see if they would be able to give me a name. It was 80 years ago but maybe it would make a family members day? I will see if I can upload a pic of it later
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:55 am

Found this one today. An old established spring from way back. It was back in a hollow off the beaten path. Must of been for an old homestead or farm at some time. I'm amazed at the cut stone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:47 am

I have found a couple wagon wheels in woods. Also, a shack that had news papers in it that's dated back in 60's.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”