Strangest/Coolest things found in woods

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Re: Strangest/Coolest things found in woods

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:25 pm

Latest find today. This is officially the strangest thing I ever found in the woods. It’s a young girls dress with sequins around the neckline. :shock:

Just laying in a random spot on a ridge top. Looked around but didn’t find anything else suspicious. I will admit this freaked me out a bit.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:29 pm

Yeah, that would freak me out. :?

I have to admit tossing my son’s underwear into the woods when he was about 8 and his anticipated fart turned into an unanticipated little bit extra. Can’t imagine what the person might have thought that found those, but they were NOT coming back in the car with me.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:41 am

Any new stories to add?
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:32 pm

I found a wooden wagon wheel one time. Didn't think much of it. That was about 20 years ago.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Mr. SMITH

Unread postby Mr. SMITH » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:49 pm

About five years ago i found an old railroad rail about 20 feet long and it was all twisted and bent. I'm sure there is quite the story behind why it was bent and twisted the way it was, but will probably never get to hear the story of what happened. This was in the mountains of Pennsylvania and would've been from when they logged off the mountains long before i was born. I also found an old fondation in the same hollow. I don't know for sure but i believe the fondation would have been a mule shanty or bunk house. They used too haul the logs off the mountain side in the winter with mules and they would lay railroad tracks in the valleys between the mountains. Then the logs would be hualed out of the mountains by a small train or i some places floated down the creek. In many places you can see were a railroad bed was but were i found that rail i would have never guessed you could have gotten a train there. It always intrigues how they did things way back then.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:59 pm

Cool old thread.

As I am sure everyone has, always cool to run across old beer bottles/cans, etc. plenty of them by where I hunt.

When I was probably 12 years old my buddies and I were roaming the woods and came upon a “hermit” shack. Half of it was actually dug out into the ground and was fresh enough to tell that someone was actively living in it. We got scared and ran off like little schoolgirls haha.

Dewey I love the start of this thread, the moose shack. If poachers, you would think they would have taken the moose racks along with the meat. Maybe the racks weighed too much for their plane tho. Cool stuff.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Tsom
500 Club

Unread postby Tsom » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:19 pm

As kids my brother and I found a rusty old machete in the woods. I can't tell you how many trees we chopped down with that thing. I do recall getting lots of blisters from it.
Found this old cabin this season.
20211106_120321_HDR.jpg
Didn't really have any trails leading up to it. Have to say I was a little sketched out opening the door. Not sure what the big black pan thing was for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:45 pm

Found this old Pepsi bottle last spring. I’m just amazed it survived so many years. :o

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:01 pm

I find old beer cans all over. Some pull tabs but a fair number of the old kind you actually had to puncture with a pointy end of a can opener.

A condom in the parking lot of a public hunting area :?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:17 am

Add this to the list of strange finds that makes me scratch my head……….

:confusion-confused:

Yesterday I trecked out to a fairly remote island well over a mile from the nearest access. Normally it’s surrounded by deep water and muck so it’s pretty rare anybody gets out there especially during open water hunting.Winter access on ice is really the only easy option. I personally don’t know anybody who has ever hunted out there and never once found human sign when I was there.

I came upon an old rusty sealed barrel on a thicker part of the island I never walked across. That’s pretty strange given the location but figured I would break the seal excited to see what was inside. Opened it up and the barrel was half full of older Quikrete bags of mortar mix. I’m guessing 3-400 pounds worth. All the bags were wrapped in plastic and duct tape to prevent moisture. I’m baffled how somebody got that stuff way out there and why did they go through all that work?

KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:58 am

Dewey wrote:Add this to the list of strange finds that makes me scratch my head……….

Yesterday I trecked out to a fairly remote island well over a mile from the nearest access. Normally it’s surrounded by deep water and muck so it’s pretty rare anybody gets out there especially during open water hunting.Winter access on ice is really the only easy option. I personally don’t know anybody who has ever hunted out there and never once found human sign when I was there.

I came upon an old rusty sealed barrel on a thicker part of the island I never walked across. That’s pretty strange given the location but figured I would break the seal excited to see what was inside. Opened it up and the barrel was half full of older Quikrete bags of mortar mix. I’m guessing 3-400 pounds worth. All the bags were wrapped in plastic and duct tape to prevent moisture. I’m baffled how somebody got that stuff way out there and why did they go through all that work?

That is a mystery.
About the only thing I can think of is that it was hauled out and stored there by some squatter/hippie/homesteader type planning to build a fireplace/chimney for a yet-to be-built shack or cabin.
Perhaps he's planning on using the mortar mix to lay up stones and rocks that are (hopefully) available right there, or at least nearby?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:37 am

Dewey wrote:Add this to the list of strange finds that makes me scratch my head……….

Bags might actually be cocaine.....go back and do a line to check :lol:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:24 am

KRONIIK wrote:

That is a mystery.
About the only thing I can think of is that it was hauled out and stored there by some squatter/hippie/homesteader type planning to build a fireplace/chimney for a yet-to be-built shack or cabin.
Perhaps he's planning on using the mortar mix to lay up stones and rocks that are (hopefully) available right there, or at least nearby?

You might be onto something. About 125 yards away is the ruins from a turn of the century duck hunting club. My research shows over 100 years old. Used to be access by boat but that’s been restricted for over 50 years. My only guess is sometime before then somebody had big plans to rebuild the structure but then either couldn’t get back out there or passed on. It’s a mystery for sure.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:36 am

3A3D89E5-7CCF-4CCE-B15C-B35ACF3DBFCD.jpeg

Someone’s kill tag from 1988. Found in some turkey scratchings
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:53 pm

Dewey wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:

That is a mystery.

You might be onto something. About 125 yards away is the ruins from a turn of the century duck hunting club. My research shows over 100 years old. Used to be access by boat but that’s been restricted for over 50 years. My only guess is sometime before then somebody had big plans to rebuild the structure but then either couldn’t get back out there or passed on. It’s a mystery for sure.

Wow.
That is interesting indeed!
But I don't think the barrel and the mortar mix are very old; the bags and duct tape haven't deteriorated much if at all. Five-ten years might be a reasonable guess?

I bet if you'd poke around you'd find a significant depression in the higher ground nearby where all that stone was originally quarried out.

I'd doubt that all that stone tonnage was hauled very far.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”