Need help on giant chunk of river bottom public land

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tmagee

Need help on giant chunk of river bottom public land

Unread postby Tmagee » Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:45 am

Can anyone help me pick some starting points to scout this huge chunk of land. To the west of the property is a fairly large river that runs North to South. To the east of the property is a State highway. Between the river and highway is probably 3-4 miles. The land itself is mainly cottonwood trees and soft maples, ash and elms mixed in. Very very few oaks. Lots of sloughs and smaller feeder creeks through that land could get a small boat or canoe on some of the feeder creeks to navigate. Doesn’t get much pressure more so during gun season. I’m very new to this and looking at maps everything looks the same to my rookie eyes for identifying certain transitions that would hold deer. I’ll add a couple aerial map screenshots. Thanks for any advice! Western WI
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NorthStar
500 Club

Re: Need help on giant chunk of river bottom public land

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:09 am

Do you know where all the access points are? Knowing this helps me to make the property a little smaller knowing that most people don't go too far from the access points. Can anyone cross that creek, or does it require knee high boots or even waders to do so? I have found that crossing a creek, even if all you need is rubber boots, separates you from a lot of other hunters. I think if I was going into this property blind, I would walk that whole creek edge and look for obvious deer crossing spots. If a big buck is what you are after, look for fresh tracks in that creek as well.

Determining food sources in terrain like this can be very difficult. There is a lot of browse in there and its hard to determine where the deer are feeding without putting miles on the boots.

In terms of bedding, I would start by checking out the oxbows in that creek or any low area that holds cattails.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Tmagee

Unread postby Tmagee » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:23 am

Thanks for the reply northstar. As far as access points, there’s maybe 3 parking areas which I rarely see vehicles at. Most people and when I say most people I’m talking 10-15 trucks are at one boat landing during gun season. It’s almost 7,000 acres. Barely gets touched during archery until November. And I’m not sure if people are actually bow hunting throughout it or getting there gun stands ready. I definitely plan on walking the creek and just putting a lot of miles on over winter and spring. Forgot to mention the highway on the east side which ya cant see in the pictures I posted there are lots of ag fields on the other side of highway.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:30 am

I would really check that transition line. And then I would check the areas in the circles. The big oxbow looks really good.

IMG_0596.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Jwinfalt

Unread postby Jwinfalt » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:06 am

I have a similar property to this one in MN, also about 7k acres
arely used for bow . Between those oxbows and the lighter patches I'd bet on some trails. The lighter patches are typically higher ground, higher stem count areas that are elevated 6 to 10 feet above the mature river bottom. I have found lots of bedding up on those humps, mostly on the downwind side of the thick patch, overlooking the open bottom below. I'm new to this type of terrain as well, but I've put in a bunch of miles this winter and that's where I'd start.
Jwinfalt

Unread postby Jwinfalt » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:10 am

The one with the blue arrow in particular. That looks to be above the floodplain. And that transition edge running S to N along the swamp edge is close by as well.

Edit to add my phone and current service has decided no, you may not upload a picture. I'll try later.
Tmagee

Unread postby Tmagee » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:24 pm

Jwinfalt, thanks for the reply. I haven’t been able to get out much over the winter due to a back injury. But I’m hoping in the next few weeks I can get out and put some time in. I have a canoe that I will be using to get around that creek. I’ll be checking out a bunch of them oxbows. And the lighter patches make sense that they would be a little higher in elevation which would be good bedding in certain areas. And yeah your pictures didn’t load which I’m sure ya knew. I’ll report back what I find when I can finally get out there
Tmagee

Unread postby Tmagee » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:21 pm

Got out and scouted a little bit on this chunk finally. I only covered maybe 80-100 acres of the 7,000+. Found decent sign, trails, tracks, some rubs and scrapes. I only found one good bed. But I might not have the eye for them yet. The one I did find was no doubt. It was up against a down ash tree next to a group of tag alders in an oxbow along a creek. The tag alders were rubbed up all around. Middle of rubs were waist high on me. So thinkin a pretty decent buck. Straight north of where that bed was is a nice strip of oaks on an edge of a cattail swamp to the west. I will be sneaking in there on a west wind this fall in between the bed and the oaks. I’m wondering if bucks would ratherbed along the creek in taller grass and ash n maple trees with tags mixed in or around the cattail swamp. The entire edge of swamp is bordered with thick dogwood. I walked around the edge and didn’t notice any beds but like I said I’m new to this game. I will be goin back soon to cover more ground scouting.
Tmagee

Unread postby Tmagee » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:21 pm

Got out and scouted a little bit on this chunk finally. I only covered maybe 80-100 acres of the 7,000+. Found decent sign, trails, tracks, some rubs and scrapes. I only found one good bed. But I might not have the eye for them yet. The one I did find was no doubt. It was up against a down ash tree next to a group of tag alders in an oxbow along a creek. The tag alders were rubbed up all around. Middle of rubs were waist high on me. So thinkin a pretty decent buck. Straight north of where that bed was is a nice strip of oaks on an edge of a cattail swamp to the west. I will be sneaking in there on a west wind this fall in between the bed and the oaks. I’m wondering if bucks would ratherbed along the creek in taller grass and ash n maple trees with tags mixed in or around the cattail swamp. The entire edge of swamp is bordered with thick dogwood. I walked around the edge and didn’t notice any beds but like I said I’m new to this game. I will be goin back soon to cover more ground scouting.
Tmagee

Unread postby Tmagee » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:26 pm

Here is a screen shot of the area. Blue mark is bed. Red is future stand placement. And line is access route. Most of the entire area is ash and maples. With thickets of younger trees. Random swamps around with oak flats mixed in on edges of swamps. With lots of tag alders and dogwood bordering the swamps.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”