Wet/Flooded Area Food Plots

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Wet/Flooded Area Food Plots

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:12 am

We are in a wet period currently on our land which means about 50 acres is under water or close to it. I was curious to know what you guys would suggest to do for food plot wise or deer in this area. We have a plot that gets flooded out early when these wet periods happen. We also have an area that would make a nice plot but would have to be a no till and is pretty wet. Any suggestions? Ive looked into a few things like duck potato or clover etc but havent done extensive research and I prefer word of mouth proof compared to some of the articles where it seems like they are just trying to sell the product. Ive also read making a water hole near wet areas reduces flooding.

These spots are moreso wet during spring and summer and tend to dry up in fall so Im looking for something that can be planted around summer and survive really moist, muddy soil as well as any tips to help this area out.

Feel free to direct me to any discussions that have talked about this in the past as well.

HuntingParadise

Re: Wet/Flooded Area Food Plots

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:20 pm

Anyone have a comment for this at all? Still curious
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:23 pm

Alsike clover does well in moist to wet- can withstand short periods of flooding. I’m not sure if this helps
Ryan
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:28 pm

I can tell you that duck potato grows like crazy here. We have a marshy area and its all over the place. There is some other aquatic plant that grows in an overflow creek that I have seen deer eating. I will have to find out what it is. Seems to like sunnier spots and doesn't grow in heavily wooded area.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
HuntingParadise

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:05 am

Ryan549 wrote:Alsike clover does well in moist to wet- can withstand short periods of flooding. I’m not sure if this helps

Its better than nothing. We have dont some clover before. Its the best we have had but eventually weeds take it over if it gets too flooded. May try to do some re-route water in hopes to keep it dryer.
HuntingParadise

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:06 am

Huntress13 wrote:I can tell you that duck potato grows like crazy here. We have a marshy area and its all over the place. There is some other aquatic plant that grows in an overflow creek that I have seen deer eating. I will have to find out what it is. Seems to like sunnier spots and doesn't grow in heavily wooded area.

Does duck potato spread easily? Thats been one of my biggest questions with it.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:14 am

There was a company I thought that sold water food plot seed. I think it was arrowhead the deer love it. Dan used to have a video about them I think.Been awhile not sure if they are still in business
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:18 am

Might be a better question for local hunters. I see you are in WI so I’d have no idea. In my area, I think most would just wait till September and put out some clover and or winter wheat.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:52 am

Hawthorne wrote:There was a company I thought that sold water food plot seed. I think it was arrowhead the deer love it. Dan used to have a video about them I think.Been awhile not sure if they are still in business

I'm pretty sure that arrowhead and duck potato are the same thing? Maybe I'm mistaken.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:53 am

HuntingParadise wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:I can tell you that duck potato grows like crazy here. We have a marshy area and its all over the place. There is some other aquatic plant that grows in an overflow creek that I have seen deer eating. I will have to find out what it is. Seems to like sunnier spots and doesn't grow in heavily wooded area.

Does duck potato spread easily? Thats been one of my biggest questions with it.

Seems to grow like weeds here. We took some muck dirt and used it in our flower bed by the house and we have to keep weeding it out of the flowers.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:21 am

Duck potato / arrowhead growing by my porch. Spread from adjacent garden.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

This other plant grows in the mucky soil, it's very wet, if you stepped in it, you would sink almost to your knees. I don't know what this is, but I have seen the deer grazing on it, especially when the water all dries up. Grows like crazy in sunny places.

20200720_125952.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:36 am

Huntress13 wrote:
Hawthorne wrote:There was a company I thought that sold water food plot seed. I think it was arrowhead the deer love it. Dan used to have a video about them I think.Been awhile not sure if they are still in business

I'm pretty sure that arrowhead and duck potato are the same thing? Maybe I'm mistaken.

Yep. I didn’t know till now
HuntingParadise

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:08 am

Huntress13 wrote:Duck potato / arrowhead growing by my porch. Spread from adjacent garden.

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

This other plant grows in the mucky soil, it's very wet, if you stepped in it, you would sink almost to your knees. I don't know what this is, but I have seen the deer grazing on it, especially when the water all dries up. Grows like crazy in sunny places.

20200720_125952.jpg

Ill for sure look into Duck Potato more. I already have some but Im not sure how much itll spread if I do a foodplot near a marshy area.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”