Flat Land Advice

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hildebrand

Flat Land Advice

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:28 am

I hunt some flat land in Michigan. Lots of flat farm land with two rivers across the fields.
I have done some serious scouting the past few weeks in hopes to better my chances this season. I just would like some tips if anybody could chime in.
The wood lot had logging down some time ago and there is a thicket where the deer love to bed and hide out. This is a area that i dont go in unless its after season or now for scouting. Pretty much once the crops hit the fields the thicket does get touched.
Question i have is i pretty much have to hunt the outside in so in just because the set up of the ticket. I would say 90 percent of the deer come from across the field where i have to walk to get to the woods and set up and hunt. Most times its deer coming across at night and getting into that thicket and staying a few days and leaving. Normally always,there are a few nice bucks that stay the summer and into the first parts of season and move but i think its more me than them wanting to leave. I ruin my shot before i get a chance and i want to change that this year.

I will add some photos to try and give some things i have seen. I will add a map of all the scouting i have done the lat few weeks.
On the map you will see where i have to park to get back to the woods and all the marks i have left of bedding areas ad rubs. Thats the area where its almost impossible to hunt and get close to get on them bc its so thick and they will hear you

Hildebrand

Re: Flat Land Advice

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:30 am

http://photos.thehuntingbeast.com/album ... A97F5.jpeg

Here is all the bedding marks and area i have really put some time into. You can see on the bottom left where i have to walk up.

http://photos.thehuntingbeast.com/album ... 9D2EE.jpeg

Here is just photo in general. Most all deer come from the left over that field and come into the bigger timber into the bedding.
Some do walk down the two track i come up bc i have chased them off walking back to my truck at night or seen them walk by my truck in the morning when i sitting on the front edge and come into the woods.

The first i walk that right side edge and I burning my chances from the second i walk back to a stand? i normally hand cameras on the edges and not so much in the woods and always have great buck pictures. Its not uncommon to have 15 plus different bucks on camera through out the summer. Am I hurting my spot by just hanging the cameras on the edge and walking back?

Also, on the map where it tracks my walk, you can see where I cut into the woods bc there is a nice opening there.I have a stand on that front edge and its always my best spot but burn it out. This year there will be corn there so its always a nice cover or the deer but if you see all my marks its not far from bedding and i think its way its my best spot but also has no great ways to get to it at all. Thats about 50 yards from the bedding area. I just hav no clue how they are using this area. They bed there but i dont get why and when they get up and move. Are they going to get up and move to that fron corn field or get up and move to the east and that field or do they cut across the big timber and head to that field which is going to be corn too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”