How to approach this point?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lardy125

How to approach this point?

Unread postby lardy125 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:49 pm

Hi guys and gals -

Wondering if I can get your input on how to approach this point https://i.imgur.com/QeDYyo1.jpg that sticks out into a northern Minnesota swamp. I briefly scouted this one time last September, and while I didn't see a ton of buck sign I keep thinking it would be a good area. I believe it's an old tamarack bog/swamp, but the trees out in the swamp have largely died off. Many are still standing, though. The point itself is about 120 yards long north to south (it points almost due north), and about 175 yards wide at the "base" where the point blends into the hard woods. The wind is primarily one of the westerlies, but can also be a true south or north wind, and SE when a front is rolling through. Access is from the top right corner, by skirting the edge of that water. That being said, a couple of notes and my questions after that!

NOTES
There is an obvious trail 10-15 yards out in the swamp that basically follows the edge of the peninsula all the way around, but it's standing water so I can't see any tracks per se. There are also 4-5 trails that come in to this trail from farther out in the swamp. There are two major transition lines; the swamp and the peninsula itself, and then another one about 20 yards inside of that on the peninsula where it transitions from thick brush to hardwood forest. There's not a ton of elevation change from the swamp to the middle of the hardwoods, I'd say maybe 10 feet total. No oak trees in the woods that I know of, although there are oaks in nearby places (within 1/2 a mile).

QUESTIONS
Would you assume the bucks are bedding in the thick stuff on the edge of the swamp? Or do you think they're on little high points farther out into the swamp? Or somewhere else entirely??
I'm planning on setting up somewhere on the point, downwind of any major trails I see going towards the swamp. Does that seem about right?
I'm pretty new to this style of hunting, so at the risk of sounding like an idiot...am I missing anything super obvious here?

218er
500 Club

Re: How to approach this point?

Unread postby 218er » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:57 pm

I’d guess their going to on high points out into the swamp. The actual transition line will be a more of a travel corridor. How you go about hunting it depends how much time you plan on investing imo. You said you scouted it last year, was there fresh rubs, scrapes, beds, etc? If your convinced there’s a shooter get as close 50-70 yards from believed beds set up with the wind and thermals in your favor and give it a hunt. If you have a lot of time do a hunt from the transition with binos and see what’s moving. You could soak a camera on a main trail in the hardwoods or transition to see what’s there. You said northern MN. I’ve hunted north and central MN for a lot of years. The deer densities are night and day different. Since this is northern mn I’d go for it and if you blow it move on to the next lead. Tons of public up there. Go on a scouting mission to pinpoint the buck, if you jump it you’ll know. Working of aerials and boots in the wet stuff figure out where trails Peter out. Come back in and set up in a few days. In central Mn 3 out of 5 times you can probably jump something and get a look. Northern mn it might be like 1 out of 10. It’s just a deer density thing. It also seasonal, I see a creek next door Waterfowl hunters can move deer from their influence. I’ve hunted wetlands with amazing sign but no deer present from September- December probably due to outside pressures.
Persistence is undefeated.
lardy125

Unread postby lardy125 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:22 pm

218er wrote:I’d guess their going to on high points out into the swamp. The actual transition line will be a more of a travel corridor. How you go about hunting it depends how much time you plan on investing imo. You said you scouted it last year, was there fresh rubs, scrapes, beds, etc?

There weren't any fresh rubs or scrapes, but like I said it was in September (Labor Day weekend, actually) that I cruised through there so there probably wasn't a ton of sign to begin with. Saw a couple decent tracks on the dry ground, but unfortunately there wasn't anything that screamed "big buck". So I'm basically going on a hunch right now, and hoping that some of you guys who are smarter than me can either back my hunch or set me in the right direction. ;) So thanks for chiming in, I appreciate it! This year I'll be going up there late October, so I'm thinking I'll do an aerial scout for my morning hunt, then take a bit of time and try to find some hot sign late morning.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:47 pm

Late October there should be fresh rubs and maybe a scrape. Work off that. Some areas that sign isn’t present in September based on my experience.
Persistence is undefeated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”