Mountain wetlands

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SteelTrack

Mountain wetlands

Unread postby SteelTrack » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:27 pm

Brand new member to the sight but have been lurking for a while, wondering if these swamp techniques will work in VT?
This is a mountain range that I hunt (always on the dry ground and high ridges). I generally wait for late season tracking snow but I might have to go in there with my bow?
When I zoomed in on google earth at the closest marsh, I was SHOCKED at what I saw for deer trails.
The marsh area is about 300 yards x 300 yards
I’m assuming 1, 2, 3 & 4 would be good bow stand locations depending on the winds...am I wrong? Would I be too close? Too far?
Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated
Thank you all,
SteelTrack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tsom
500 Club

Re: Mountain wetlands

Unread postby Tsom » Thu May 14, 2020 10:36 am

I'd suggest getting in there to figure out where the bedding is and then you can answer how close you want to get to those beds without being caught. I'm in so. NH and probably hunt a bit of similar terrain and am still trying to piece everything together. One thing I've noticed is our wind often isn't real strong and thermals most of the time trump wind direction, so understanding thermals and having experience in an area floating milkweed around will help a lot on telling you where you can set up on a bedding area. I don't have a problem finding buck beds, but haven't been able to connect on a good one beast style yet myself.
headgear
500 Club

Re: Mountain wetlands

Unread postby headgear » Thu May 14, 2020 11:16 am

Your numbers look like good bed locations, I would set the stands close but no too close. Hills and swamp can be a great combo, I would also investigate that small hill to the right of 4. Like mentioned already you just have to walk these spots and let the sign show you where they like to bed, walk the whole thing because you never know for sure until you are there. In some places I hunt I have overlooked stuff for 5 plus years, when I finally get in there to look around wow was I pissed because I missed areas by not walking everything right the first time. With that said it can take a while to scout and learn all the land you can but eventually you get there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”