Recommendations on a plant killer

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

Recommendations on a plant killer

Unread postby Elite » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:58 am

I sprayed roundup on my plot that has ferns and other leafy plants growing, about 2 weeks ago with limited kill. Can anyone recommend a different brand or roundup solution?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Recommendations on a plant killer

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:11 am

Elite wrote:I sprayed roundup on my plot that has ferns and other leafy plants growing, about 2 weeks ago with limited kill. Can anyone recommend a different brand or roundup solution?

If the directions are followed well, there is not much better than round up...
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:14 am

5oz of concentrated round up per gallon of water gives me a good kill. I use the generic brand from rural king. Works just has good.Nuke it
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:44 am

I saw RM18 mentioned on another forum, read up on it at the manufacturer website. Round up and a dicamba, not sure if it will be pulled from the market because of the dicamba. What I liked is that it doesn't persist in the soil, so you can plant soon after the burn down.

I have no personal experience using it.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:02 am

Elite wrote:I sprayed roundup on my plot that has ferns and other leafy plants growing, about 2 weeks ago with limited kill. Can anyone recommend a different brand or roundup solution?

It could take another week if it was a light application, but this is all you will get. Hard to say. It's not the brand. It's likely the concentration. I always get 41% concentration. Follow directions & don't over apply. There is a maximum. I usually used two quarts per acre. Roundup works best when plants are actively growing. I wouldn't spray when it's hot out if you can help it.

Also, Glyphosate ("RoundUp") isn't as safe as they have made it out to be so try to keep it off you & take a shower after you are done spraying and cleaning your sprayer. It doesn't kill plants once it has come in contact with the soil but it is still toxic & can persist in the environment.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:41 am

dan wrote:

Roundup has worked great for me on dandelions and such, but it's the ferns that seem more resistant.
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:12 pm

Elite wrote:
dan wrote:

Roundup has worked great for me on dandelions and such, but it's the ferns that seem more resistant.

Ferns can be tough. I use 3 to 5 oz. per gallon of 41% glyphosate solution in early spring. You really need to get after the ferns when they first start to emerge. Once they are complete unfurled, they can be a royal pain in the but to kill.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:00 pm

jman22 wrote:
Elite wrote:
dan wrote:

Ferns can be tough. I use 3 to 5 oz. per gallon of 41% glyphosate solution in early spring. You really need to get after the ferns when they first start to emerge. Once they are complete unfurled, they can be a royal pain in the but to kill.

X2

Another time that hits them pretty good is around mid September shortly before they start to turn brown (if you are planning a plot the following year).
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:21 am

jman22 wrote:
Elite wrote:
dan wrote:

Where are you finding 41% glyphosate? Roundup Concentrate Plus is 18% and that's the highest I could find.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:00 pm

Compare and Save brand 41% glyphosate is what you want for an all purpose weed killer. Spray when plants are actively growing. I’ve found sunny low wind days are best for spraying.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:21 pm

MN_DeerHunter wrote:Compare and Save brand 41% glyphosate is what you want for an all purpose weed killer. Spray when plants are actively growing. I’ve found sunny low wind days are best for spraying.

Thank you!
jman22
500 Club

Unread postby jman22 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:53 pm

Elite wrote:
jman22 wrote:
Elite wrote:
dan wrote:

Where are you finding 41% glyphosate? Roundup Concentrate Plus is 18% and that's the highest I could find.

I get mine at Tractor Supply
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:21 am

Would a flame torch work for food plots?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOPTGljKTXY
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:33 am

How long til you are going to plant it? Round up is getting pretty weak on alot of weeds. If you are going to wait a couple weeks before you plant, mix in a pint to the acre of 24d lv4. You can find it at any tractor supply. It is cheap and when mixed with roundup should kill everything. Don't go heavier then a pint to the acre though or you will have to wait longer then two weeks to plant any type of broadleaf. You need a spray license now in most places to get dicamba.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:16 pm

The tentative date is July 18 if it's not raining.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”