better photo of area am I missing something

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HuntPapublic

better photo of area am I missing something

Unread postby HuntPapublic » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:16 am

This is my ONX map of the area. two of these spots I have hunted in. The rest are a few areas I want to look at. Winds come from south east I believe. Anyway Just curious as to how to approach this area

camp area.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: better photo of area am I missing something

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:39 am

Do you mean the shaded green area? You can turn that layer off in the layers settings and it will show as the private lands do without shading.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
HuntPapublic

Unread postby HuntPapublic » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:33 pm

No I know that I am talking about the terrain in general where to start
HuntPapublic

Unread postby HuntPapublic » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:50 pm

The private land allows public hunting
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:25 pm

Okay. I'm not an expert, but from what I've learned, I would look at these spots I marked in blue. And maybe sume of the other little points that look less pronounced.
20200821_072239.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:30 am

Couple of things you'll want to focus on:
Access- not only yours but others, where are they typically entering/hunting
Habitat Diversity- those big north woods can be very monotonous with large tracts of old growth trees, find and focus on changes in vegetation, look for any old cut overs that are thick, areas heavy in saplings you'll find the deer there, if you can find some thick areas located near or on some good terrain features, those areas could be money
Food- big woods deer have a lot of food spread over large areas, but there will be something that they'll prefer over others, try to find what they're eating

In my experience, we have a predominantly W/SW wind however, our terrain really mixes it up. For instance, I have a spot, that with a SW wind, I found that the wind blows there from the NW, it sorta wraps the hillside, milkweed is a powerful tool!
I would walk the ridges and check the heads of each one of the draws, I've found rubs at or near the heads of those draws in similar terrain
Best thing you can do is get out there and scout as soon as possible, learn as much as you possibly can, spend some time really tearing it down
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
HuntPapublic

Unread postby HuntPapublic » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:48 am

Thank you both, I feel with what I have marked I am on the right track, and that was the plan to walk more of this territory. the one ridge you marked I have encounted a great deal of scrapes, and it is where I had my only shooter buck other than my access area. I will be entering in near panther run as what you cant see is that there are camps along the river and I have a camp here and it is on a private road. the parking areas are long 62, I used one of them last year that entered along the powerlines, and spooked a buck bedded at the top of the ridge. I sort of stopped hunting here after that but it did give me a clue as to some of the bedding. I will look at what I have marked next weekend and also what was marked in blue. There is a great deal of new growth on the backside near the river, as this area was many years ago when I was maybe 12 or 13. As for encountering scrapes I feel that one issue I had is that I may of been too deep over the scrapes, How do you guys strategies scrapes, and how do you determine if its a primary scrape or secondary? Just curious here.
thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:08 am

Dont worry about figuring out primary vs secondary scrapes. Focus on figuring out the terrain and learn how they're using it. Put a waypoint on that bed where you jumped that buck and try u ders d why he was bleeding there. What was the wind doing, which way did he run?? These things can teach you a lot about how the deer are using the area.
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”