Farm country hunting help

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jlucky

Farm country hunting help

Unread postby Jlucky » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:42 am

I've been hunting this property for years and have taken many nice 3 year old bucks off of it. I have 2 160" deer living on or atleast come through my property for the past 4 years. I realize I have been hunting this wrong for years and have been trying to do things right. I mainly hunt public land and hunt this a few times a year, along with a family member. The westernly block of vegetation on our property is lower ground and mostly dry. Mixed with some marsh grass, dead Fall and some live trees and shrubs. About 40 acres in the marsh, 8 acres of hardwoods where topo indicates, mostly maple and hickory, and about 20 acres of alfalfa, corn, beans rotation. There isn't an area that is "full of beds" but deer mainly bed on the edges as expected. Im not sure how to approach this differently and can't seem to peg down a pattern of where the bigger bucks are bedded. I generally do not disturb the marsh to the west side of the property because it all kind of looks the same to me and finding transitions out there is difficult. Walking through there in the past though I generally do not notice kicking deer out of there.
Pressure is heavy on all sides surrounding our property. I have had stands virtually everywhere EXCEPT in the far west side of property. But, neighbors have stands all around the edges of our property.
If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
JLUCKY
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

andersta01

Re: Farm country hunting help

Unread postby andersta01 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:07 pm

Well, I hunt farm land almost exclusively, you need to give more information.
1. Where do you access it? If you are only killing 3 1/2 year olds, your access is probably flawed.
2. What’s the normal wind direction that you get a majority of the time?
3. Where are you getting the pictures & what time of day?
4. if your not seeing sign of them bedding on the property, zoom out, look at the surrounding properties, if it is as pressured as you say(I’m assuming you are talking bow hunting & the neighbors bow hunt also), If you think they are bedding on the neighbors find where they are coming and going & where. walk the perimeters look for sign were deer come and go from the neighbors, put a few cameras up at some of those spots see what time those deer are traveling, daylight or at night?
5. Find the doe bedding you will normally find some in the the transition between the brush and the marsh grass or cattails, if it is near the ditch it would be a good place to start looking. Especially if the food field is close to the marsh. there will be some doe bedding in there, I can’t tell from the map, sorry! Get back to me if you don’t understand what I’m trying to say, you have to figure out the basics before you can answer some of the other things.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”