Need help

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

60daysoutdoors

Need help

Unread postby 60daysoutdoors » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:46 am

AD5300B2-FF75-4ADD-9CC7-CF22B7248AD7.jpeg

Here’s the map scale before I go into detail.
Red is boundary of public land
Blue is the high pressured area where everyone hunts
White is the only bedding I’ve found on the piece of property and it has some small rubs
Yellow are cypress heads that I haven’t been able to scout yet
This is also Florida public land so everything is flat. No ridges or points to key off of

I’ve had a cell camera on a rub line in the white bedding area that I found. I have had 3 or 4 different spikes in this area but no bigger bucks at all. The camera has been out there for 3 months now. I haven’t made my way to the cypress heads circled in yellow but from what I’m reading in this forum, I would think that’s where the bigger bucks would be hanging out if there is dry land out there. Anything outside of the blue circle is usually wet and gets knee deep within just a few yards outside of the boundary road. I guess I’m just looking for second opinions on where you think the bigger bucks would be bedded or if they would be in those cypress heads at all? It’s my first year of public land deer hunting and I’m trying to figure it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.”
‭‭Philippians 1:20
kher

Re: Need help

Unread postby kher » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:14 am

Based on your photo, you already have eliminated a lot of the spots on public to avoid hunting. Also your entail of info from your trail camera already helped you determine small bucks in that zone so that cancels out that area as well. Put some boots on the ground in the yellow area and see what lives over there. Most hunter like what Dan says will avoid water.
“The more I practice, the luckier I become.”
Byron Ferguson
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:02 am

I would look north about 30 miles. Raiford track has more habitat diversity better access and its managed a little better. Not that I don’t think there are good deer there I just think they are probably on the private a little more then the public because of terrain and pressure.
60daysoutdoors

Unread postby 60daysoutdoors » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:25 am

Tribute80 wrote:I would look north about 30 miles. Raiford track has more habitat diversity better access and its managed a little better. Not that I don’t think there are good deer there I just think they are probably on the private a little more then the public because of terrain and pressure.

I was wondering if anyone would recognize it. LOL. I live 30 seconds from this piece which is why i've been trying to learn it. If there's no sign in the cypress heads then i'll probably move on. There's alot better public pieces around in my opinion but I was gonna give it a shot this year.
“according to my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.”
Dillon.S

Unread postby Dillon.S » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:47 am

I can't tell from the pictures but if you pull it up on an aerial map and zoom way in you can usually see trails running through the swamp to these areas. But not always. Only way to figure it out is to get out there and check it out.
60daysoutdoors

Unread postby 60daysoutdoors » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:06 am

Dillon.S wrote:I can't tell from the pictures but if you pull it up on an aerial map and zoom way in you can usually see trails running through the swamp to these areas. But not always. Only way to figure it out is to get out there and check it out.

That is what got my initial attention for those cypress heads. You can see several possible trails winding through the marsh on the backside of those cypress trees but I wasn't sure if they would actually be deer trails. There's lots of hog sign out there too
Dillon.S

Unread postby Dillon.S » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:31 am

60daysoutdoors wrote:
Dillon.S wrote:I can't tell from the pictures but if you pull it up on an aerial map and zoom way in you can usually see trails running through the swamp to these areas. But not always. Only way to figure it out is to get out there and check it out.

That is what got my initial attention for those cypress heads. You can see several possible trails winding through the marsh on the backside of those cypress trees but I wasn't sure if they would actually be deer trails. There's lots of hog sign out there too

Ohh gotcha. Not used to hogs. Definitely worth a look, especially being so close to home.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”