Feeders

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

SEOHBB

Feeders

Unread postby SEOHBB » Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:10 pm

Looking for a budget friendly feeder recommendation. In Ohio you have to run corn if all the neighbors run corn. Gravity or electric? Best raccoon proof options?

Ghost Hunter

Re: Feeders

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:41 am

20210702_184643.jpg

This is my feeder at home. We like watching critters around feeder. Moultrie Pro feeder. (Battery powered)

Wire around it from Lowes keeps them away from spinner. Battery last around 6 months feeding once a day. Fill it up every 3 months.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Bowhunter68

Unread postby Bowhunter68 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:19 pm

Coming from the Deep South where every piece of private land looks like the yellow brick road during deer season, I can assure you even if your neighbors are feeding corn you don’t have to do it to be successful. Deer are still gonna be deer and use other food sources and travel between bedding and food sources. During the rut the feeders often become dead zones as the bucks are harassing the does all the time. Also, once a mature buck figures out that someone is hunting that feeder good luck trying to kill him around it. If you are dead set on using one Moultrie produces quality feeders for a decent price. Good luck coon proofing it though.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:36 pm

I have had one squirrel get in mine in 12 years. Coons don't bother it.

Where I hunt 10-12 run corn feeder. I don't. Tried it one time about 20 years ago. Was sitting there watching feeder. Waiting for deer show up. About 2 hours later I was thinking about where needed to be hunting. About 9am went camp get something eat and went somewhere else and got in a tree. I don't have patients for a feeder. We got people in camp that will sit and look at one for two months. :shock:
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:02 pm

I did a cheap one a few years back to get some pictures of the deer in my grandpa's yard for him to see.
A 5 gal bucket, a hole in the bottom a little bigger than a broom stick, a broom stick through the hole with a nail through near the top, keeping the top in the bucket. Hang from tree so the broomstick will be higher than what a raccoon can reach, but low enough that a deer will bump into it with its head and back as it's eating off the ground. The shifting broomstick allows corn to fall through.
Very cheap and effective!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
SEOHBB

Unread postby SEOHBB » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:57 am

Not looking to hunt over bait, looking to hold doe group or two on or close to the property and have it placed strategically near stage area. My plan is hunt between bedding and food.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”