Food plot rescue

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

Food plot rescue

Unread postby Elite » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:45 pm

Planted a fall plot 15 days ago but with the lack of rain I barely have any germination. I’m hoping with the rain forecasted Thursday-Sunday that the seed will germinate. How long do you give a plot before you reseed?

Elite
500 Club

Re: Food plot rescue

Unread postby Elite » Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:27 am

Bump
Iabow

Unread postby Iabow » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:49 am

I am no expert and only play on some old wetland and field corners the farmer lets me play on, so take with a grain of salt as they say.

What did you seed that you are waiting on? If it is brassicas, depending on your area they may not have enough time to grow fully before first frost. If they germinate with the rain I would fertilizer those baby’s up big time to try to get as much growth as possible. That is if you want brassicas. Brassicas grow best at the end of their maturity process, so first frost may cut that off.

If they look weak around Labor Day you can always do winter rye grain and or winter oats, I also throw in ground hog radish in light amounts with them. Around two weeks later throw some more rye grain down. Sure you know but make sure it is rye grain and not rye grass.

You can also add peas or buckwheat to act like a deer candy but they will not last long. Keep us updated.
Scott S

Unread postby Scott S » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:34 am

This time of year winter rye would be your best rescue, in my opinion. It will germinate under basically any conditions. Put down at least 100 pounds per acre and rest assured you'll have a food plot. I've had it germinate in the cracks of my deck during a drought.

Whether your previous planting crashed and burned or was flourishing I would still overseed with 100 pounds per acre of winter rye. It will fill in any open areas and diversity is always your friend.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:52 am

Iabow wrote:I am no expert and only play on some old wetland and field corners the farmer lets me play on, so take with a grain of salt as they say.

What did you seed that you are waiting on? If it is brassicas, depending on your area they may not have enough time to grow fully before first frost. If they germinate with the rain I would fertilizer those baby’s up big time to try to get as much growth as possible. That is if you want brassicas. Brassicas grow best at the end of their maturity process, so first frost may cut that off.

If they look weak around Labor Day you can always do winter rye grain and or winter oats, I also throw in ground hog radish in light amounts with them. Around two weeks later throw some more rye grain down. Sure you know but make sure it is rye grain and not rye grass.

You can also add peas or buckwheat to act like a deer candy but they will not last long. Keep us updated.

No brassicas. The blend is oats, winter wheat, winter peas, and rye. The soil is fairly sandy and the plot is in the wide open.
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:41 am

Scott S wrote:This time of year winter rye would be your best rescue, in my opinion. It will germinate under basically any conditions. Put down at least 100 pounds per acre and rest assured you'll have a food plot. I've had it germinate in the cracks of my deck during a drought.

Whether your previous planting crashed and burned or was flourishing I would still overseed with 100 pounds per acre of winter rye. It will fill in any open areas and diversity is always your friend.

Only second year doing Winter Rye, but from what Ive read and seen is that itll grow later than the rest and will grow anywhere under most conditions. Id suggest this as well.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:28 am

I ended up broadcasting about 2-3# of seed and the recommended fertilizer. The seed blend I planted prior to rebroadcasting was starting to germinate, but not to the height and density I had hoped. The rain we got, over 1” over the last three days, should really kick things into gear!
Scott S

Unread postby Scott S » Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:29 am

Good luck, my friend. Hope everything goes well.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:40 pm

Scott S wrote:Good luck, my friend. Hope everything goes well.

Thanks. I’ll post a picture when I go to check progress in about two weeks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”