Clearing saplings in a clear cut

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hildebrand

Clearing saplings in a clear cut

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:18 am

Hi, I am already looking towards the 2022 deer season. I have permission to hunt about 30 acres that were clear-cut about 11 years ago. They did leave a tree here or there in the middle but most of the bigger trees were left on the edges. Now the woods are so thick with 1,000s of saplings all over you can not shoot a bow or gun in,but the deer absolutely love it in there. What would be good things to try and do to help me hunt this next year? I don't have a tractor or anything like that. I have a Polaris ranger, chain saw, and your basic yard tools. I was thinking of trying to hand clear some small areas to get some sort of food ploys going and toss in a water bin and try mu luck that way but I am just unsure.

Dhumpy

Re: Clearing saplings in a clear cut

Unread postby Dhumpy » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:26 am

I know this is older but just ran across your post. I’m working with pretty much the same situation. About 40 acres broken up with maybe 25 of that being huntable (houses on the front part of the property.). I walked every inch of it to figure out how the deer used the property. I left the bedding areas alone and cleared small areas close to trails the deer were already using for small food plots and mineral sites. Only put two stands on the property and I stay out of there unless the wind is right. I will be doing a little bit of hinge cutting in the next few weeks because of some of the bedding areas opening up with the saplings getting big. I’ve been able to take 4 good bucks from the property since I’ve been hunting it and I think the biggest thing is not over hunting it.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:35 am

I had this exact situation two years ago. The timber was select cut 5-6 years ago leaving burr oaks and white pines. I paid my wife’s uncle to take his heavy duty skid steer and create a food plot for me. The mounds of dirt and popple were pushed on the sides except for the directions I wanted the deer to enter the plot. Took him about an hour to remove the dirt and stumps to make it. The only other option is to find a trail in the popple to sit over. Good luck trying to get an arrow through all that though!
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:14 am

If you hunt it by yourself sounds good. If you don't I would walk edge of clear cut and find best spots that would be productive. Maybe even out into timber little that surrounds clear cut if you have access to it.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Tue May 24, 2022 2:10 am

I think you have a couple of different options of things you could do here to help with saplings (depending on permission):

1. Hack/chainsaw and squirt - either use a hatchet or chainsaw to kill cut some saplings, and then treat with chemical. If you want them gone immediately you will need to cut them off with the chainsaw and then treat the stump.

2. Clear some with skid steer/dozer. Pretty self explanatory.

3. Growing season burn - If you have areas that you want to kill a large amount of the saplings you could opt to do a growing season burn.

4. Foliar spray - Get the correct chemical to foliar spray the saplings you want dead.

All depends on what timeline you are on, permission you have, and $$ you want to spend.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri May 27, 2022 12:24 am

I seen a photo of a lawn mower someone had put a circular saw blade in. They cut a V notch in the front and evidently used it.

I'll do that if I ever need to cut a lot of saplings - that or a pole saw or some sorts that has an angled head.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”