Converting Grass Lanes/Roads to Food Plots

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lost River Jones

Converting Grass Lanes/Roads to Food Plots

Unread postby Lost River Jones » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:38 am

I have a grassy road along a fence row that I can drive down. Google Earth says the total area is about .8 acre. Deer cross and walk the road/path. Its on the edge of a 50 acre parcel.

Seems to me I could convert this road/path into a food plot or something "better" than grass. I don't have any equipment (except a mower to mow it once a year or so).

Looking for ideas that don't require a disc/planter/seed drill.

Thanks.

minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Re: Converting Grass Lanes/Roads to Food Plots

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:33 am

Buy a springtooth drag or a rigged up pallet of some sort to tear up the ground. Broadcast some clover, rape seed and rye with a little fertilizer. You can still drive on it if you need to but the critters will love it. Cheap and effective
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:26 am

Depending on where you’re located, you could start your plot sometime in May/June. If all you have to compete with is grass, spray the grass with glyphosate (a day or two before a rain), and broadcast clover the same day. The grass will eventually die and the seed will work it’s way down to the soil with rain and wind. Clover seeds are incredibly small in comparison to other seed. I would do double the rate of seed recommended for 0.8 acres.

Once you get germination you’ll need to add your lime and fertilizer. Some grass may grow back so you’ll need clethodine to kill it off but not the clover. Good luck!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:27 am

Hit grass with clethodim and frost seed clover in. Clethodim is a grass killer. If you are in northern regions do it now. Drags work good too but clover can also just be seeded by hand or with a small spreader. I have figured out mowing 3 times in the summer is all I need to keep weeds down. I hit it once in June and July then one last time at the beginning of August. By that time of year weeds have mostly cycled out. I will get some queens Ann's lace come up late but I just pull it.
Lost River Jones

Unread postby Lost River Jones » Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:49 am

Thanks everybody, I appreciate it. I'm in USDA Zone 6a

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”