Anyone ever use a hand held weed wiper?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Anyone ever use a hand held weed wiper?

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue May 31, 2022 11:58 am

I could use one for an area that's risky to spray Glyphosate but don't have one & never used one. If anyone has used one how did it work for you?

You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Anyone ever use a hand held weed wiper?

Unread postby dan » Tue May 31, 2022 9:37 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:I could use one for an area that's risky to spray Glyphosate but don't have one & never used one. If anyone has used one how did it work for you?

I used a gas weed whipper for remote clover plots at Daves farm. The clover had to be cut at least once a year or it would turn to weeds. One of the best food plots had to be put in by hand cause equipment couldnt get to it.

Weed whippers are a pain in the but with loading the wire and such. Buying a good quality one seems to make it easier. But, it did work well and was a lot less intrusive then an ATV with equipment attachments in remote areas adjacent to bedding
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:31 am

Sorry I am envisioning some poor guy crawling around a field with windshield wipers cursing at the weeds… :lol:

Anyways.

They work great unless the weeds have thick woody stems in which case they tend to twist and tangle. The ‘square’ or ‘spiral’ strings seemed to help with thicker weeds. Eye protection is a must. Should work fine for you.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:48 am

This is what I'm talking about. I need to kill the weeds in the nursery all around potted plants and there always seems to be wind & it's always swirling so I thought this might be an option to avoid overspray killing thousands of $$ worth of plants.
https://www.amazon.com/Green-WT1-Thief- ... 343&sr=8-6
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:36 pm

I never saw anything like that before Lance... My worry would be that it only kills the weeds it touchs, where the spry will get everything except seeds. I do use quite a bit of round up out of pump up sprayers though, and you can be pretty accurate with them with the right settings, even on moderately windy days.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:55 pm

I have used a homemade version of this for killing weeds with gly around delicate flowers and other plants. As mentioned it did not work as well as the spray method because of obvious less coverage- but the benefit was precise application of the chemical. Multiple applications were needed when I applied it this way versus the one application of spraying, but it is well worth the effort for and extremely precise kill
Ryan
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:05 am

What are we talking about here? A weed eater?
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:41 am

Eddiegomes83 wrote:What are we talking about here? A weed eater?

No- this is a device used in pesticide application.
Essentially you have a wick that is soaked in the chemical. With that wick, you touch the weeds that you are trying to kill. So instead of spraying and killing whatever the spray hits, you are able to touch the chemical soaked wick to the exact weed you want to kill.
There is no dripping, overspray or drifting with this method.
Ryan
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:59 am

Ryan549 wrote:

Essentially you have a wick that is soaked in the chemical. With that wick, you touch the weeds that you are trying to kill. So instead of spraying and killing whatever the spray hits, you are able to touch the chemical soaked wick to the exact weed you want to kill.

What kind of applicator did you use and which chemical?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:54 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Ryan549 wrote:

What kind of applicator did you use and which chemical?

Where I used to work, we had these thick rolls of cotton- like a paper towel roll, holes on each end, but the cotton part was like a feminine hygiene product. It was about as thick as a quarter.
I put some sort of wooded handle in one end of the tube and dipped the other end in glyphosate. The cotton absorbed so well that it prevented dripping. I could literally wipe the foliage of the unwanted weeds without harming the more delicate plants in the immediate area. It definitely took a few days longer to die off because the coverage is nowhere near that of a spray, but it worked.
Ryan

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”