FOOD PLOT ADVICE NEEDED

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

boondocksaints
Facebook: @Cheevo_Charters

FOOD PLOT ADVICE NEEDED

Unread postby boondocksaints » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:42 am

I have a 10 acre parcel of land that is now impossible to get a four wheeler or tractor to. The creek is now 8 ft deep because of natural factors. Two giant oaks fell and I can cross the creek by walking across. I have one box stand on the other side that has 3 food plots it’s overlooking. Imagine a V with an extra line running down the center with the stand placed at the bottom of the V. In the past I would plant the outside with a mixture of brassicas and re seed with rye grass as needed. In the middle I would plant clover. Now that I can’t access it with any machinery I’m trying to figure out what I should plant on the two outside plots. The clover in the middle I can weed-eat and spray and it should be good to go. Lastly the two outside plots a lined with oaks so if I don’t plant anything there may be acorns. Depending on the crop we get. Sorry for the long description but wanted to paint a picture. Any suggestions on what I should plant? Or should I just spray it and let it be. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elite
500 Club

Re: FOOD PLOT ADVICE NEEDED

Unread postby Elite » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:28 am

Are you saying that your biggest issue is not being able to get a tiller in there, or are you saying you don’t know what to plant?
boondocksaints
Facebook: @Cheevo_Charters

Unread postby boondocksaints » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:33 am

I have been doing the no till method for almost 5 years now so my problem is I can’t get my packer max back there to crush the old plots down. Everything will need to be done by hand. Just trying to determine what I should plant because I will not be able to disturb the ground besides using hand tools. Big n beasty was planted last year so trying to figure out what will work the best since I can’t use the no till method or tiller. I can spray and weed-eat down to dirt if needed.
WoolwineGuy

Unread postby WoolwineGuy » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:49 pm

Would you consider some Red Dogwood or some hazelnut? ROD for late season woody browse, hazelnuts to supplement the acorn crop. For maintenance, take a chainsaw to part of it every year to keep it growing or make shooting lanes and then keep the weeds down with a weed whacker. Might take a couple of seasons to get it all established with some serious dibble work, but it should last forever, give you an endless supply of cuttings to propagate, and give you a good tradeoff of maintenance and food diversity with fall hazelnuts/winter browse from the dogwood.

I never had much luck with the advertised throw and grow mixes, but I have rocky clay soil and need good prep to get things to grow well. Might as well try a couple of bags of that and see if you can get that established without a cultipacker. If you can get open soil then small seeds worked in with a rake or small drag mat that you could carry through the woods might work, but that sounds like an awful tough couple of weekends every year.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:00 pm

You can plant pretty much anything by broadcasting if your willing to do it by hand. Maybe not corn so great as it requires some depth. But pretty much anything else can be broacast into a cover crop. I don’t currently have any way of crushing cover crop so I cut it all with weewacker. Yup lotta work but it gets done. I have 2 plots and both are split . Half brasicas and I overseeded one with rye and not the other . The other half is beans/peas/oats/hairy vetch and I also overseeded it rye. The overseeding in rye honestly for me is more for spring so I have a weed suppressant , something green before anything else, and a cover crop to plant into in the spring . You do get good growth in fall as well .

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”