What trees would you plant?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Abishai

What trees would you plant?

Unread postby Abishai » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:31 pm

If you could plant 5 trees for browse and food on your property what trees would you plant?

I have oaks already, so I'm looking for non-oak variety trees. Thanks for your input.

“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
Edcyclopedia

Re: What trees would you plant?

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:09 pm

Apple, beech, crab apple, sugar maple
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
-db-

Unread postby -db- » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:31 pm

Pears, crabs, mulberry, hawthorn, beech
Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. - Fred Bear

@upnorthoutdoors989
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:26 am

Apple (including crabapples), Box Elder, Red Maple, White oak (if I lived long enough to see acorns), Pear
Ryan
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:14 am

I will apologize for being annoying up front but your best choice will be what your area supports the best. Not just your growing zone, but the soil type, elevation, shade tolerance, etc. I think fruit trees are a great recommendation, but I would suggest a tree that will give you the best crop as opposed to trying to pick a fruit tree that the deer like most.

I have planted many fruit trees on my property and have had mixed results. My pear trees give me about 6 pears per tree where the apple trees give me more apples than I care to count. So in hindsight, I wish I would've planted almost all apple trees of varying varieties instead of many different fruit trees. Hope this helps!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:19 am

Persimmon is a good choice.
Native to a large part of the country.

Are you saying browse and food only for deer or you and deer?
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:29 am

Ryan549 wrote:Apple (including crabapples), Box Elder, Red Maple, White oak (if I lived long enough to see acorns), Pear

Talk to me about Box Elder...is it the leaves or the seeds?
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:39 am

justdirtyfun wrote:Persimmon is a good choice.

For deer. Buy if I can make a can of jelly off of it that's a bonus.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:12 am

NorthStar wrote:
Ryan549 wrote:Apple (including crabapples), Box Elder, Red Maple, White oak (if I lived long enough to see acorns), Pear

Talk to me about Box Elder...is it the leaves or the seeds?

Box elder is a very vigorous grower and responds very well to browsing with quick regrowth. The leaves, as with most maples, are favored by the deer. If you are into habitat management, a box elder handles being hinge cut very well and will regenerate new growth almost immediately. It is a junky tree as far as the landscape is concerned, almost invasive. It is propagated from seed very easily. Collect the helicopter seed pods and you are well on your way to adding a bunch to your land. Not taking anything away from the oak group, but with box elder, you don’t have to wait very long to have something that the deer love.
Ryan
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:15 am

Speckled alder. The more they browse it the bushier it gets. Grows fast. I walked a habitat consultants property that planted a 40 acre field in a variety of trees. Was 20 years after he started and was really impressive. Add food plots and it’s golden. He was really big into Norway spruce and speckled alder. He was starting to shoot big bucks off it. Took years and hard work
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:19 am

I've got some chestnut seedlings started in the nursery and will be planting them out. I've got lots of oaks, apples, pears planted already.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:38 am

I've tried planting all kinds of trees and honestly unless I want something specific or a fruit tree I'm just letting nature do its thing. Open up sunlight and see what grows. And a lot of the "junk" trees are some of the best wildlife trees.

Box elder is a good one. They hinge great and get the crap browsed out of them by me. They are honestly super hard to kill

We also have a ton of wild mulberry in a few spots. They are also hard to kill. Hinge well and get browsed fairly heavy.

Soft maples and basswoods are good deer trees too. Browsed heavy and easy to regenerate. This took me a while to figure out but a lot of you junk trees are great wildlife trees and your "good" timber trees are pretty limited in actual value. Especially as they age
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:31 am

Abishai wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote:Persimmon is a good choice.

For deer. Buy if I can make a can of jelly off of it that's a bonus.

Well, persimmon would match up with that. I collect some every year for making cookies. Old fashioned white flour rolled spice cookies.
Right now a few medium sized trees are trying to snap branches off from the weight of the fruit. Deer only have 3-4 steps out into the open to munch on them.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:12 am

Abishai wrote:If you could plant 5 trees for browse and food on your property what trees would you plant?

I have oaks already, so I'm looking for non-oak variety trees. Thanks for your input.

Looks like you’re in Texas?

My list of all time favorites for GA Zone 8 growing region are...
- Sawtooth Oak
-Chinese Chestnut
-Persimmon
-Keiffer Pear
-American Plum

Your region with dictate what you’re able to plant. Most apple, pear etc trees require minimum frost hours of 200 up to 800 for some varieties.

Some plants require annual pruning, applications of insecticide (especially apples & pears) and full sunlight is a crucial requirement across the board for faster growth. Water is necessary as well the first 1-2 years during establishment.

Some things to consider before investing in trees. Some species are a “set and forget” then others require monthly maintenance in order to reliably produce.

I hope this helps
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:36 am

Pear and persimmon
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”