What trees would you plant?

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Abishai

Re: What trees would you plant?

Unread postby Abishai » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:25 am

Twenty Up wrote:
Abishai wrote:If you could plant 5 trees for browse and food on your property what trees would you plant?

I have oaks already, so I'm looking for non-oak variety trees. Thanks for your input.

Looks like you’re in Texas?

My list of all time favorites for GA Zone 8 growing region are...
- Sawtooth Oak
-Chinese Chestnut
-Persimmon
-Keiffer Pear
-American Plum

Your region with dictate what you’re able to plant. Most apple, pear etc trees require minimum frost hours of 200 up to 800 for some varieties.

Some plants require annual pruning, applications of insecticide (especially apples & pears) and full sunlight is a crucial requirement across the board for faster growth. Water is necessary as well the first 1-2 years during establishment.

Some things to consider before investing in trees. Some species are a “set and forget” then others require monthly maintenance in order to reliably produce.

I hope this helps

Actually, currently in Poland, but the wife and kids are in Texas. My Mom and Dad's in Arkansas is where I'd be planting though. I'm in Zone 8 in Killeen, but Russellville at my parent's land is on the Zone 7/8 border. I like your suggestions though. Thanks for the input.

“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:58 am

Cedars but I really love cedar trees
Earn what’s never given.
Crawdaddy

Unread postby Crawdaddy » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:14 pm

Speak with a local forester, they should be able to give you a list of trees and shrubs that will do well in your area, then go from there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”