Scouting and Stand Placement

Post topo’s and Aerial photos for free advice. Food plotting, land manipulation, water holes, ect.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MJS12

Scouting and Stand Placement

Unread postby MJS12 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:47 pm

I’ve learned from the podcasts that bucks like the transitions and points/fingers. The photo below shows a dashed blue line which is the property boundary. (#1) Is dogwood and scrub brush along the creek which will either transition to marsh grass or cattails. There are few to hardly any living trees with all the ash trees dying and tamaracks dying. (#2) Is a cedar swamp that has many beds on the edges that transition to cattails or brush and marsh grass. I thought most of these beds are satellite beds due to multiple beds on the cedar bogs and being smaller in size. Any guidance on to where you’d scout and place a stand is appreciated. Is it smart to try a scout and hunt on the ground for the brush line for #1 due to limited trees? I do have the option to go even farther west to public land and that is mainly brush scattered and random trees. I’ve yet to figure out the bedding on that as I’ve done little scouting back there. Any help is appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KRONIIK
500 Club

Re: Scouting and Stand Placement

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:30 am

MJS12 wrote:I’ve learned from the podcasts that bucks like the transitions and points/fingers. The photo below shows a dashed blue line which is the property boundary. (#1) Is dogwood and scrub brush along the creek which will either transition to marsh grass or cattails. There are few to hardly any living trees with all the ash trees dying and tamaracks dying. (#2) Is a cedar swamp that has many beds on the edges that transition to cattails or brush and marsh grass. I thought most of these beds are satellite beds due to multiple beds on the cedar bogs and being smaller in size. Any guidance on to where you’d scout and place a stand is appreciated. Is it smart to try a scout and hunt on the ground for the brush line for #1 due to limited trees? I do have the option to go even farther west to public land and that is mainly brush scattered and random trees. I’ve yet to figure out the bedding on that as I’ve done little scouting back there. Any help is appreciated!

Surprised that you haven't gotten any replies yet.
It looks like good hunting spot, judging by all the trails through the cattails, especially the second one.
The first one is small and won't take too long to burn out, though.
I don't think you have many options on that one beyond entering that property to the little forested island (from the East on a Westerly wind) and do a sit or two from a high treestand elevation.
You may very well bump bedded deer off that island on the way in, but if you go in gentle early enough in the afternoon they may return for a "bump and dump" opportunity.

• Advertisement

Return to “Land Management”