Bear caught on camera

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

3531usmc

Bear caught on camera

Unread postby 3531usmc » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:42 pm

I caught a bear on my trail camera and I am kinda curious. Where I live there isn’t a bear season and I really do not know much about bears. With this picture would it be possible to tell if it’s a male or female?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bear caught on camera

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:29 am

based on the head, neck, and bigger in the front, I would say its a male
3531usmc

Unread postby 3531usmc » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:43 am

dan wrote:based on the head, neck, and bigger in the front, I would say its a male

Ok thanks Dan! Hopefully the state I live in opens a season soon. He looks very healthy.
Solo7

Unread postby Solo7 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:08 am

That’s pretty cool. Rumor has it there are some in the area where I am hunting. We are the same, no season here.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:34 am

Yea, no season for them here in CT. Over in my side of the state they are everywhere, they are becoming a real problem. The past two weeks I've had five different ones in my backyard. Been seeing them almost every day. They have no fear of humans and actually go to residential areas to look for bird feeders and garbage cans for an easy meal. It's not uncommon to see a sow with four cubs because the environment is perfect for them to flourish. Usually when I see a bear by itself I assume it to be a male because it seems like every sow around has multiple cubs in tow.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:37 am

Yeah looks like a male. This is probably the beginning of the bear rut in most places they breed in July I think.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:01 pm

Boar, and decent one at that.
3531usmc

Unread postby 3531usmc » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:12 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:Yea, no season for them here in CT. Over in my side of the state they are everywhere, they are becoming a real problem. The past two weeks I've had five different ones in my backyard. Been seeing them almost every day. They have no fear of humans and actually go to residential areas to look for bird feeders and garbage cans for an easy meal. It's not uncommon to see a sow with four cubs because the environment is perfect for them to flourish. Usually when I see a bear by itself I assume it to be a male because it seems like every sow around has multiple cubs in tow.

We are starting to see more and more closer to the shoreline. According to DEEP a male bears home range is 12-60 square miles that pretty neat.
mpernest

Unread postby mpernest » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:15 pm

The angle is not perfect, but I would agree it is a boar. We have quite a few black bears around here, the most frequently seen being sows with cubs. The sows usually have a rounder rump and seem skinnier in the shoulder area. Now the resident full-grown sow in the neighborhood is pretty damn big for a Florida bear, but the one boar we see around on occasion is obviously more tank-like, kind of like this bear.
“There is no one else to blame.” -Jocko Willink
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:36 pm

That looks like a boy bear.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”