My bear hunt thread

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PLB
500 Club

Re: My bear hunt thread

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:10 pm

hunter_mike wrote:
Public Land Beast wrote:I would bait early mornings. I would also try to bait at the same general time each trip. Bears get used of a schedule and routine. I have snuck in on dozens of bears while baiting. Especially by myself when I tiptoe in quietly. I do agree with making some noise on the way in instead of startling a bigger bear.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Advice taken

If you have any more tips or tactics questions feel free to post them in this thread or pm me!! Thanks PLB!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:39 am

Very cool of you to offer that PLB
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:13 am

Yeah thanks PLB, i usually wont have questions until i run into a problem. But one thing that is concerning me is all the competition i am getting on this block of forest land. Any tips on dealing with the pressure of several other people baiting in the area?

I am trying to use high quality bait, donuts, Day-old bread, pie fillings etc. I also chose my spot based on how far off the beaten path it is and how close it is to terrain that looked and felt like what dan said in another post is a bears daytime hideout. Anything im missing? I really wish i could bait more often.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:10 pm

You bear hunters who say morning baiting Is better. What time of the morning you talking?

As for noise when going Into your bait to bait I believe In the method of silence. Whether you spook them right away by making noise or by sneaking In and spooking them accidentally your still damaging your bait IMO. Going by our trail camera's we've seen on the camera that the bear heard us at our truck loading up bait to take In. Off they went. The same we've seen on the camera's when they hear us walking In on the bait trail. Most times that we've spooked bear they usually never return. Specially the big guys. I absolutely hate spooking bear. For that reason alone our group will not bait until at least 9:30 In the morning and we try not to bait any later then 2:00 In the afternoon.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:38 am

Schultzy... I agree with your time frame.
My cameras are telling me a different story though... Yes some bears spooked from a distance never return, but most return. but the ones we scare the heck out of up close most of the time never come back.... I always run cam's on all my baits and it is the single best learning tool...
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:03 am

I shouldn't of said most don't come back. The ones that do are usually the smaller ones and they often quit coming In during the light and go to night hitting. The big guys It seems are done after one encounter. I think a big reason Dan why our bear are acting differently (yours being more tolerable) might be the people situation. We are loaded and I mean loaded with hunters and guides where I hunt. Years ago before the big rise In bear hunting we often spooked bear from the baits and most times they returned during the daylight hours (the smaller ones anyway). Back then hunting pressure wasn't a thing.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:50 am

That could be Schultzy... Ever notice on the bear hunting TV shows up in the canadian wilderness how the kick a big bear off a bait and it just comes back an hour later... Willing to bet neither of us see a lot of that.
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:58 pm

dan wrote:That could be Schultzy... Ever notice on the bear hunting TV shows up in the canadian wilderness how the kick a big bear off a bait and it just comes back an hour later... Willing to bet neither of us see a lot of that.
Huge bear numbers I think Is the reason (competition amongst the bears).
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:16 pm

Awesome input here. Just an update, I picked a second spot to bait on saturday and put out bait and a camera. I am not sure this second spot will be as good, there were no berries around from what I could tell but it still is a big white oak ridge surrounded by dark deep swampy bear country, so at the least I am expecting a hit on the bait.

I went back to bait my original spot on sunday around 11 am in accordance with advice from on here. About a quarter mile from the bait I have to cross through a dark, wet, grassy area. I was just walking and all of a sudden I heard something weird like FFFUUHHH FFFUUUPHH FFFUUPHHH and I stopped, saw movement and sure enough a small bear cub was on his/her way up a tree about 50 yards in front of me. I backed out steadily and got back out into the open cutover and sure enough there were 3 little bear cubs sitting up in a tall popple tree. I imagine the sow must have been the one I heard in the grass ahead of me. I actually had my girlfriend with me that day and I was surprised how calm she was about the whole thing. She was only steps behind me when we heard the first bear. I am kind of getting worried that I am spooking too many bears in this area but not exactly sure that any of the incidents could have been avoided.

I got to my bait site and everything had been cleaned up. All bait was gone, I was just really surprised when I checked my camera and no pictures had been taken. I replaced the batteries and I'm now hoping for better results next time. I guess I know theres still bears hitting my bait and there's still bears in the area. Just don't know if theres any shooters still or yet :pray: . Time will tell and hopefully the other bait site produces too. Unfortuneately I can not bait again until July 27th :? . Hopefully my time away from baiting does not hurt my chances.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 pm

You are going to spook some bears no matter what you do... Just do your best. I think one good thing to do is to ignore the bears and just keep walking past. Stopping and staring at them seems to freak them out, but just walking like you never saw them seems a little more exceptable.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Set up a second bait site on July 13th, wasn't able to rebait and check cams until today. Not exactly hot action, but I guess what should I expect for not baiting for 2 weeks. All of my bait everywhere was eaten up to the last crumb. Should be able to bait everyweekend from here on.

Thieves....

natvbearhntr
500 Club

Unread postby natvbearhntr » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:44 pm

looks like you have a nice active spot. I am the complete opposite of you. I am normally so excited to get started by the time the actual hunting part comes around I am burned out. This year I dragged my feet a little too long and now I am scrambling to get my stand up and get decent bear coming in.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:23 am

natvbearhntr wrote:looks like you have a nice active spot. I am the complete opposite of you. I am normally so excited to get started by the time the actual hunting part comes around I am burned out. This year I dragged my feet a little too long and now I am scrambling to get my stand up and get decent bear coming in.

Good luck to ya, hopefully you have a good spot picked out. It llooked like you had a good bear come in in your other post!

So far i am decently pleased with the results I am getting. I have been getting my bait hit just about every time I go out there so thats a plus. I just got back from re-baiting and checking cameras. One of my baits got hit, the other did not... thinking about abandoning that one, will see what happens next weekend. I still feel like I don't really stand a chance of killing a bear, after all its not like I have bears coming in every day or anything. I think next weekend I am going to battle the heat and scout out a totally different area just so I have options.

Did get some nice pics of a HUGE boar this past week though! He came through at 10 pm and then again at 5am. Not sure what that means but there are some berry rich areas that he is facing in the very last pic. Still not sure how I can get closer to having a chance at killing him. Cool pictures though!

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:45 am

8-) wow good luck
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:53 am

Would anyone care to guess the size of that bear? I think he is a giant but I'm not a good judge. Heres a picture of me, I am a decent sized person 240 lbs and 6'-3"

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”