My bear hunt thread

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

My bear hunt thread

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:39 pm

I just decided to start this thread to try and get myself and other bear hunters all jacked up for bear season. I'm almost embarrassed to admit I am having a hard time getting myself jacked up for it. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I have never bear hunted before.

Was talking to an old high school buddy back home about it and he said that he thinks I will start getting all jacked up as soon as I start baiting and finding tracks. So i decided that I just need to get myself out there and get started.

I'm also somewhat embarrassed to admit that I have done zero bear scouting this spring. I think that had a lot to do with the really short scouting window and also the fact that I was so extremely obsessed with whitetail scouting this past spring. Not to mention the amount traveling it will take to get to where I will be hunting (I know pretty much all bear hunters can relate to that).

I plan on doing my first scouting trip on the 29th and 30th of June. The area in WI I chose to hunt holds some really large parcels (137,000 acres) of county forest land consisting of a lot of atv trails, logging roads and also some low lying swamps. My strategy for my late start to a scouting season is to drive/walk logging roads around low lying wet areas and try to find bear. I imagine its going to be thick , buggy and wet in there with low visibility so I may not venture too far off the logging roads and just focus on covering lots of ground and marking waypoints on gps where I am finding the most and biggest tracks. From there, I will put try to choose my bait sites based on aerial maps and topos and go to set baits and cameras on a separate trip.

Does this sound like a decent plan? Something I'm missing? If I find big tracks do you think I should try to track him? I am a beginner for sure.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Schultzy
500 Club

Re: My bear hunt thread

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:23 am

I think your on the right path. Finding tracks, sign (berries pulled down, ant hills dug up, padded trails) Is a for sure sign that It was done by bear. Good luck.
djl

Unread postby djl » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:52 am

I would pick out some likely looking areas and run test baits as soon as legal.

The other day I filled my Honda with bread/some donuts. Trunk was full, back seat full. I did manage to freeze some and packed 7 five gallon buckets full topped off with grease. This has preserved the bread nicely in the past. My wife thought I was crazy.

I bought some anise oil and plan to have bacon for breakfast many times in the next month or two. I'll mix the anise with the bacon grease for a nice smelling paste. Thinking of ordering some caramel extract. I heard this works.

I'm pumped. Been shooting the bow getting ready for that nice 15 yard shot. Oh boy can hardly wait. :dance:
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:05 am

djl wrote:I would pick out some likely looking areas and run test baits as soon as legal.

The other day I filled my Honda with bread/some donuts. Trunk was full, back seat full. I did manage to freeze some and packed 7 five gallon buckets full topped off with grease. This has preserved the bread nicely in the past. My wife thought I was crazy.

I bought some anise oil and plan to have bacon for breakfast many times in the next month or two. I'll mix the anise with the bacon grease for a nice smelling paste. Thinking of ordering some caramel extract. I heard this works.

I'm pumped. Been shooting the bow getting ready for that nice 15 yard shot. Oh boy can hardly wait. :dance:

I kind of like the idea of test baits. Might be a lot of extra effort for nothing, but it could just as easily end up being well worth it. I need to look at the aerials and topos again to narrow down spots. I really wish iwould have scouted this spring :?
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:02 pm

Well I finally got out and scouted on the 29th of June. I spent a couple hours the night before studying maps and aerials and marked out 3 spots in particular that I wanted to scout within a 5 sq mile block of forest land. Ended up walking a little over 6 miles that day through thick brush and hot weather but was able to pick a decent spot and dump some bait and place a camera. The spot I chose was mainly based off of things that I picked up on from the Beast forum. It is a cut-over area on higher ground right on the transition edge of a huge dark tamarack swamp, similar to what Dan and Schultzy were describing where the ground is covered with moss and the temperature is cooler. Unfortunately a large thunderstorm came through the night before so I couldn't find squat for tracks however I did cross a bunch of wet grass that appeared as though a bear trudged right through and I was pretty sure cuz I think this is a bear track punched into the moss.

Another reason I chose the spot I did, is because there was a little Island of oak trees there, and there was actually still acorns on the ground from last year, and there was tons of deer sign. I know there are tons of oaks all over the place in that block of forest land, but at least I did find an acorn concentration. There were also lots of these berries in surrounding the area I chose to bait. Anyone know if bears eat these? and if so, what kind of berry it is?

Seems like there was a decent amount of food souces around for the bears to pick from but time will tell if I can get any to stick around for hunting season. I also did find another hunter's bait while scouting and also talked to a guy on a logging road who was out bear baiting and he said he had 14 baits out in that particular forest block :shock: and I couldn't tell if he was just blowing smoke or if he was serious. Obviously he would have motive to try and keep me away from where he is obviously baiting.

Well I went back this past saturday to refresh my bait and hopefully get some pictures of a huge bear. Upon walking in about a quarter mile I found some fresh tracks which from all I could tell were a sow with cubs...

When I finally got within 50 yards of my bait, I heard something really quick get up and take off, and I thought wow, would be cool if that was a bear. Sure enough, I checked my cam and it had snapped a picture of a bear only 2 hours earlier...

There ended up being half a dozen pictures. From what I could tell there were two different bears. This was the most promising looking picture I got:

I know these are not monster bears but I think I got some decent preliminary results for only having a week and a half invested so far. I am hoping I get some better bears coming in but I am also going to put out a secondary bait and camera. I am getting really excited to say the least. Thanks to all who have helped on here. Hopefully I get to slay a big bear out of this tree and get it on film with my buddy videotaping me:

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Awesome. 8-)
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:22 pm

very cool.......hope you get the one your looking for
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:57 am

Pretty cool, how your doing your first bear hunt by yourself. looks like you are going to have some oppurtunities.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:06 am

When I finally got within 50 yards of my bait, I heard something really quick get up and take off, and I thought wow, would be cool if that was a bear. Sure enough, I checked my cam and it had snapped a picture of a bear only 2 hours earlier...

One word of advice... While baiting, try not to spook bears off the baits. I have seen boars that come in every day never come back after being spooked. Sometimes making a little noise coming to the bait and giving them time to wander off is a good thing
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:09 am

Cool for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:36 am

dan wrote:

One word of advice... While baiting, try not to spook bears off the baits. I have seen boars that come in every day never come back after being spooked. Sometimes making a little noise coming to the bait and giving them time to wander off is a good thing

I will take that into consideration Dan, its interesting that they will keep coming to a bait despite all of the human scent we leave behind, but after being spooked they will not. Definitely unique behavior. I might consider making a bit more noise when I come in to bait so that they can hear me coming from a ways off and have time to move away. I think your advice might make me want to consider baiting only in the morning that way they don't learn to avoid the bait in the afternoon?

I will continue to make observations on this. Sucks I can only bait once a week.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:38 am

Black Squirrel wrote:Pretty cool, how your doing your first bear hunt by yourself. looks like you are going to have some oppurtunities.

Not totally by myself, I have my own personal bear hunting consultants on here :D
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:36 am

I would bait early mornings. I would also try to bait at the same general time each trip. Bears get used of a schedule and routine. I have snuck in on dozens of bears while baiting. Especially by myself when I tiptoe in quietly. I do agree with making some noise on the way in instead of startling a bigger bear.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:47 am

Mornings are best for baiting IMHO as PLB stated.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:14 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I would bait early mornings. I would also try to bait at the same general time each trip. Bears get used of a schedule and routine. I have snuck in on dozens of bears while baiting. Especially by myself when I tiptoe in quietly. I do agree with making some noise on the way in instead of startling a bigger bear.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Advice taken

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”