Defense of bear baiting

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GABUCK05
Facebook: 2889 Anitoch Rd

Re: Defense of bear baiting

Unread postby GABUCK05 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:46 am

Good video and well done! I've thought about this topic a lot because I don't like to bait deer and I really don't like it when surrounding properties do. I don't think it is the most effective way to take mature deer, and not necessary for harvesting does or immature deer. However having hunted bears over bait it is the best tactic depending on the environment you hunt in. Some would say that sounds like a hypocrite, but I really think you need experience to make that judgement.

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:22 am

Well Done :clap:

I will admit, I suffered some ignorance on why we bait bear vs other animals thanks for educating hunters. I have hunted bear over bait, just because that is how it is mostly done in MI, dogs or bait, and I did not have access to dogs. Thanks again.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:41 pm

In vermont we cant bait bear but can run them with dogs.
It pisses me off the mountains run with hounds chasing them into trees for a entire month before start of bowhunting for deer.

I dont understand I agree with all hunting no matter what.
But seriously dogs run these mountains like crazy all of september end up in my backyard daily
Trucks parked all over my dirt road

Get pics of the dogs all over the place by,some of my tree stands

And I cant have a apple pile to try and kill a bear?

Its,really made kind of resent dog hunters even,though its not there fault
These guys come to tbe mountains run there dogs everywhere tben,never see them again mean while i live there scout and hunt my off ans all my oppertunitys get chased off by dogs even though I spent 2 months patterning a bear.

Just let me bait them please lol
"The hunting is great, the killing is terrible."
Northern new england.
Ranger Matthews

Unread postby Ranger Matthews » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:52 pm

Bears are weird on when it comes to the public’s perception. People are raised on Teddy bears and cartoons. There was a bear that got hit by a car by my house. For over a month people would stop and call 911 to check on the bear. People would get out of the cars and walk down to this bloated stinky bear to see if it was ok. Deer definitely don’t get the same kind of treatment
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:04 am

Ranger Matthews wrote:Bears are weird on when it comes to the public’s perception. People are raised on Teddy bears and cartoons. There was a bear that got hit by a car by my house. For over a month people would stop and call 911 to check on the bear. People would get out of the cars and walk down to this bloated stinky bear to see if it was ok. Deer definitely don’t get the same kind of treatment

The other problem is the concept that bears are rare. And need to be protected from extinction!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:42 pm

Clay Newcomb of the bear hunting magazine harps on how hunting bears with bait is a management tool. It is really that simple. In some western states spot and stalk is sufficient to keep numbers in check. Some area use dogs likely based on achieving a certain % or harvest quota. In Pennsylvania they do bear drives. In Alaska and bc they hunt from boats. In MN your chance to just randomly see a bear is very low. Hunting over bait allows natural resource managers to use hunters as a tool to manage populations. It’s really that simple. Without hunting over bait in some areas success and participation rates would be so low natural resource manages would be unable to adequately manage the population. Leading to more nuisance calls, bears hit by automobiles, and predation on other species.
Persistence is undefeated.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:11 pm

218er wrote:Clay Newcomb of the bear hunting magazine harps on how hunting bears with bait is a management tool. It is really that simple. In some western states spot and stalk is sufficient to keep numbers in check. Some area use dogs likely based on achieving a certain % or harvest quota. In Pennsylvania they do bear drives. In Alaska and bc they hunt from boats. In MN your chance to just randomly see a bear is very low. Hunting over bait allows natural resource managers to use hunters as a tool to manage populations. It’s really that simple. Without hunting over bait in some areas success and participation rates would be so low natural resource manages would be unable to adequately manage the population. Leading to more nuisance calls, bears hit by automobiles, and predation on other species.

WELL SAID!

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”