MN 2019 bear hunting prep trip

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mnbearbaiter

MN 2019 bear hunting prep trip

Unread postby Mnbearbaiter » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:29 am

Made the 5hr drive up to the north country last Friday to check out some spots I'd located on my OnX that looked promising to bait come Aug. At about 6:30am I was rounding a NFS road and there he was...a very nice long haired and very mature boar on the same road not 100yds away. For about 2-3mins he never noticed I was there. I'd guess him at all of 6' when comparing him to the width of the road we were both on. He had a nice melon head on him too. Eventually he saw the Chevy and wandered off undeterred looking. Assuming the rut is on as he was doing an awful lot of sniffing and air tasting? Best part about that was it was less than 400yds as the crow flies from the spot I was looking at baiting which turned out to be an active beaver flowage well off the beaten path. Needless to say I hung a portable, dug bait put, and cut logs to cover that spot after I saw even more bear sign on the ridge above the pond. Ended up finding a couple other promising areas I also prepped. One was an area about 200yds off a road where I walked along a Slough to an area where it necks down and kinda cute the Slough in half. Deer tracks were present as we're other games tracks so that little pinch point should be good. Also found what I believe to be a "scratch tree" up on ridge at that spot? Last spot I found was some really thick tangle next to a lake. Not the most fired up about that spot, but it does have easy enough access to the bait from the lower ground around the lake and vice versa, and is loaded with that lower cover that should make a bear feel a lil more secluded? All in all a success. Got half the baits prepped, saw a bear, but boy those woods this time of year are hot and brutal. Had a few ticks make the trip back, picked up a rash, and got pretty well covered in bites. Bring on August!!!

Bearman13
Facebook: Fall River Outfitters LLC

Re: MN 2019 bear hunting prep trip

Unread postby Bearman13 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:21 pm

Prepping bait sites and hanging stands is illegal in MN until baiting opens.
Mnbearbaiter

Unread postby Mnbearbaiter » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:45 am

Well geez Jim now ya got me wondering who to believe??? I called the Chippewa Natural Forest office regarding the cutting of logs and such and as long as I cut nothing live(pruning still being legal) I was in the clear or so I was told??? I called the DNR and also inquired and as long as I laid down no bait I was doing nothing more than those guys who prep their deer stands in Sept/Oct well before fitearms opener? I used no tree steps or the like to secure or climb tree where stands were hung. I saw guys up there cutting wood and putting it in their truck/trailer and to avoid any smart comments they were not "Natives".
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:36 am

You cannot prep, service, or maintain any bait station prior to August 16th.

People do it all the time. I just wouldn’t advertise it online.
Mnbearbaiter

Unread postby Mnbearbaiter » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:45 am

Pure case of being Ill informed. In all the years I hunted bears and helped friends I never did it early. I called and tried to cover my a#& and assumed I was in the clear especially considering the specific questions I asked. Well still have 3 other sites to establish come Aug 16th. Thanks for the heads up
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:46 am

Wait a minute... you can't choose a bait site, cut shooting lanes and cut logs for your bait pile before actual baiting starts? Never heard of such a thing, I did all that before baiting for years. I guess even the conservation officers don't know that.
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:09 pm

Freelance Bowhunter wrote:Wait a minute... you can't choose a bait site, cut shooting lanes and cut logs for your bait pile before actual baiting starts? Never heard of such a thing, I did all that before baiting for years. I guess even the conservation officers don't know that.

I think you better read the regulations again. It’s heavily enforced here.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:29 pm

So what is the real law on this? Can you prep or cant you?
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:00 am

No you can’t. Top line. This is last years reg.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/6232.3200/
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:17 am

Jim Wallner wrote:No you can’t. Top line. This is last years reg.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/6232.3200/

Thanks Jim.....guess a little honest mistake activity going on. I guess this law is in place to put everyone on the same page for when legal baiting starts in August. Its amazing how two States (WI & MN) side by side can have total different rules and regulations for the same big game species!
Freelance Bowhunter
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernie.barringer.5/

Unread postby Freelance Bowhunter » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:31 am

"A. A person may not establish, service, maintain, or sign any bear bait station prior to the Friday nearest August 14."

It's not a bait station until you put bait there. So you can get it all ready and then just put the bait out on the first day of baiting. Everyone I know does this. To think that you couldn't even cut the logs or build a backing would be wrong I believe. What about stations that are used year after year? You couldn't even go in the summer and trim shooting lanes and spruce it up. This is common practice all over.

Can't imagine any conservation officer enforcing it the way you are interpreting it.
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:43 am

Call one. Been in this business for over 20 years. When the new guide restrictions came out this is one they harped on immediately. Guides or hunters could tie up spots claiming them as their areas. Much like you can’t pre-empt trapping sites.

The BS with this law is, the regular hunter gets a fine and no big deal. The bear guide gets a big game violation and forfeits his guide license as you can’t have any big game violations.
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:04 am

DNR Division Of Enforcement. Northern MN
218-328-8802

Give them a call. I just did to get clarification.
Skyler_2010
Facebook: I don't have a facebook

Unread postby Skyler_2010 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:20 am

Freelance Bowhunter wrote:"A. A person may not establish, service, maintain, or sign any bear bait station prior to the Friday nearest August 14."

It's not a bait station until you put bait there. So you can get it all ready and then just put the bait out on the first day of baiting. Everyone I know does this. To think that you couldn't even cut the logs or build a backing would be wrong I believe. What about stations that are used year after year? You couldn't even go in the summer and trim shooting lanes and spruce it up. This is common practice all over.

Can't imagine any conservation officer enforcing it the way you are interpreting it.

I guess my inexperience says that establishing a bait site would be prepping it by cutting logs and digging a pit or setting up a crib just my op.
"If your not helping hunting, your hurting hunting." Fred Bear.
Bearman13

Unread postby Bearman13 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:38 am

Skyler_2010 wrote:
Freelance Bowhunter wrote:"A. A person may not establish, service, maintain, or sign any bear bait station prior to the Friday nearest August 14."

I guess my inexperience says that establishing a bait site would be prepping it by cutting logs and digging a pit or setting up a crib just my op.

You are correct.

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”