2020 Foss & Bolssen Bear Season

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mike Foss
500 Club

Re: 2020 Foss & Bolssen Bear Season

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:11 am

Well, this is it, I haven't been up North for two weeks and my anxiety level is killing me, I have one more day of work (its going to be a long day). I'm all packed and ready to hit the road early Friday morning. This baiting season year has been a roller coaster, I finally figured out where the big target bear is hanging out during the day so as you guys know I placed a bait station closer to his core area about a month ago and it has worked, I started getting daytime visits from this big mature bear. We have two bait stations, they are 3/4 mile away from each other, there are multiple bears, 2 mature shooters, 2 smaller bears, and a sow with 1 cub and they are all visiting both of these bait stations. Either stand will be good as the two bigger bears that Brian will be hunting are avoiding each other, so when one bear is on or near a bait site the other one is on the oppisite bait. Miss wolf just last night finally found our other newer bait station, she was very cautious and stood about 20 yards away but would not commit to the bait, I was hoping she would stay where she was at and wouldnt find this second bait, she is a little nasty girl and always chases the bears away, except the bigger ones. Supposedly the Weather will be cooler and wind out of the North, its not ideal for one of the stands but its better than last years East winds. Over the years the ideal temperature is in the 70s, seems it cools down and the bear action also slows done, time will tell. Even at that camera distance in the picture attached, look at that big crease on the noggin! I will try and keep up with the updates and pictures.

Image Image

Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:46 am

I wanted to add other than the body size differences, the smaller of the two big bears has a much lighter muzzle.
Tripod472

Unread postby Tripod472 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:26 am

Got up to Washburn on Saturday around 1:30pm. Mike had baited all our stations so we just put up the tent and hung out. Got up at 5 am Sunday morning to help fill bait bags and run to fill the Hollow logs. Headed to my two baits and they were all cleaned out. As I was helping to bait one of the other baits I heard a scratching sound and to my surprise, a smaller two year old was hanging onto the tree 10 yards away. I stood and watched as he new something was up but knew he heard the dinner bell. Rob was adjusting the stand and I was waiting for him to finish. Rob finally turned around and I pointed to the bear and he smiled. He climbed down from the stand and took some pics as I left my phone in the truck. We finally walked away as the little guy just watched us walk away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:14 am

IM EXHAUSTED ALREADY, my body aches :shock:. This is when a guy truely realizes just how out of shape he really is :lol:
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:47 am

Had big winds come threw last night, one bait wasnt hit until 6 AM but the Ghost Bait had 7 different bears on it, there are 2 or 3 mature bears hitting it, Brian is going to have a hard time choosing. Opening day is going to be a cool day with North winds, coolness might slow things down a little but bears eventually will show, wind is good for each stand set up.

https://youtu.be/RK7rK2zCK9w
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:07 pm

Brian and I made an appearance at Northern Wisconsin Outfitters. Day before the hunt Question & Answer meeting and big meal. Very rare photo of NWO owner Robert Haas (right side) and Me, Founder of NWO. Hunters are excited :dance:

https://youtu.be/07MpX7OBh08 Image

Image Image Image
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:29 pm

Brian is as ready as ever, right now the bears and Mother Nature are in charge. This cooler weather has slowed down bear activity, Thursday looks like a better day and Friday even looks warmer and better winds. Good luck to all you bear hunters out there.
Tripod472

Unread postby Tripod472 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:31 am

The day is finally here. Can’t wait to get in the stand and take In the quiet serenity of the north woods. Only time will tell if I’m successful after the summer of baiting and trail cam pics. I hope to post some pics of bears I pass on today or the big guy we have been watching all summer. Good luck to all the hunters today.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:09 am

Mike, Im not hunting this year, but wondering your take on this weather, would you sit back and wait for warmer days and more activity? Or you think a guy should hunt today if the baits havent been active due to weather?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:10 am

dan wrote:Mike, Im not hunting this year, but wondering your take on this weather, would you sit back and wait for warmer days and more activity? Or you think a guy should hunt today if the baits havent been active due to weather?

Hi Dan...great question, weather has definitely affected activity some, not bad but everyone can tell the difference. I was just looking at next weeks forcast and it looks like its going to take a jump back to warmer weather, thats the days you want to hunt. This morning it was 41, right now its 55 and deadly quite out, no wind at all, that could change later this afternoon. The answer to your question is if you have time off and can hunt next week when theres warmer weather I would sit out this week but monitor and freshen up the baits or if they start to pick up go hunt.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:49 am

But then again Friday is looking closer to 70 that would be a good day to sit on stand.
Tripod472

Unread postby Tripod472 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:01 am

Quick updated to my hunt. Got into stand approximately 1pm. Shortly after this little guy shows up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tripod472

Unread postby Tripod472 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:32 pm

D0FCD7DF-371A-4407-BCCB-319A34D9F81D.jpeg
Successful first day if seeing bears is part of the plan. Seen 5 different bears and the one in my last post was about 18 minutes into my hunt. Lots of little ones running around. Hopefully with a sunny clear day tomorrow the big daddy bear will come visit.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:12 am

Robert Haas owner of Northern Wisconsin Outfitters dragged in 10 bears last night :clap: Today is warming up to about 60... should be another good night.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:55 am

Mike Foss wrote:Robert Haas owner of Northern Wisconsin Outfitters dragged in 10 bears last night :clap: Today is warming up to about 60... should be another good night.

:clap:

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”