Baitless bear hunting

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Baitless bear hunting

Unread postby rhagenw » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:18 pm

My state for the first time in a century has open up bear hunting...this is in the southern half and several hours away...no baits or dogs allowed...how would I go about hunting bears in Mark Twain’s/Ozarks mountains?

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Baitless bear hunting

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:36 pm

:think: :think: :think:

I'm running through the same thing. But not serious about bear hunting since I'm FOR SURE getting drawn for a MO elk tag.

:pray: :pray:
You could travel gravel roads for hours while watching for bear track. Like Benoit and snow trackers up north. Cut any track and give it a shot.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
VilasCo

Unread postby VilasCo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:13 pm

Clay Newcomb has a youtube channel (Bear Hunting Magazine) with some cool hunts. He shot one over a water hole with a recurve.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:35 pm

2nd traveling old roads or trails trying to cut a track just to put you in the right area. After that is kind of a guessing game of food water or bedding and trying to get close, hopefully this is a gun hunt because a non-baited archery hunt would be quite the challenge. I would probably try some spot and stalk stuff too or mix in a little still hunting if you think you have a bear in close. I bump into them all the time in the fall and spring scouting, maybe a couple of times out of 25-30 encounters I could have gotten a clean shot off with a gun, no chance with archery but one time was a pretty close encounter, 20 yards in some tall grass, wouldn't have even had a shot because of tall grass. I would say you have your work cut out for you but that is what makes it fun! Good luck.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:36 am

if you have crop fields or acorns you can set up on sign at food
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:53 am

I have shot a couple of bears while sitting over waterholes high in the mountains in hot weather, called in and shot one using a calf elk in distress call, and walked up on several in the fall as they were feeding on berries, fattening up for hibernation (haven’t filled a tag that way though). Also shot several while sitting over an elk carcass, but likely not an option for your situation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:53 am

Thanks for the replies! There will be plenty of acorns down there and probably isolated patch’s of crops here and there...I thought about driving and cutting tracks and probably will do so but a majority of that portions public ground is fairly rocky...I plan to use the ole 06 unless I find a spot that screams 25 and in...the hunt is in October and we can use mouth calls so may give the a whirl as I am an avid yote hunter and always have one...do bears use hill county/ river bottoms similar to deer or??
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:19 am

dan wrote:if you have crop fields or acorns you can set up on sign at food

Like Dan said at fields are your best bet. Especially corn fields. Thank to the farmers and they will be happy to get you to knock down the damage the bears do.

Another thought is to call the DNR and talk to a biologist.

Bowhunting Road is a great YouTube. He is a member her @Freelance Bowhunter is a wealth of knowledge when it comes to bear hunting as is @Mike Foss. He is also a guide IIRC.

Predator calling is another option if you prefer moving as to sitting in a stand. Doug’s book is a great read. I copied his post from another thread I started a few years ago below:

saylean wrote:Hey all,

I am Douglas Boze, the author of "No Bait Just Bears" and "The Ultimate Guide To Black Bear Hunting". I just wanted to point out that if you are going to buy one of my books, to get the "Ultimate Guide" book. "No Bait" was my first book, self published and contains lots of great info on how to hunt bears without the use of bait, hence the name.

However, "Ultimate Guide" contains all the info of the first book, plus tons more. For this book, I was commissioned by a publisher to write it, it is much more refined and is almost triple the size in text. I have found it cheapest online at Target.

Anyway, this is more of a way to try to save a guy a few bucks, than a sales pitch.

I have read, "Education of a bear hunter" by Flowers, but it is more of a story book than a how to. It does list some interesting behavior on bears and is an interesting read.
Bear Hunting magazine is another good resource.
Regardless on what you choose, thanks for the support and I look forward to reading and contributing to the site.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:03 pm

Acorn covered ridges will concrete the bear activity. We regularly position our bait sites on the edge of the oaks and swamp. They bed in the swamps and feed on the oaks. Typically there is bear scat in the areas. I’m in mn for reference.
Persistence is undefeated.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:14 pm

rhagenw wrote:Thanks for the replies! There will be plenty of acorns down there and probably isolated patch’s of crops here and there...I thought about driving and cutting tracks and probably will do so but a majority of that portions public ground is fairly rocky...I plan to use the ole 06 unless I find a spot that screams 25 and in...the hunt is in October and we can use mouth calls so may give the a whirl as I am an avid yote hunter and always have one...do bears use hill county/ river bottoms similar to deer or??

yes, but I personally find them prefering low thick areas like swamps more, especially in warmer temps...
PaPublicLandHunter

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:08 am

In Pa we are not allowed to bait or use dogs either. If you are hunting in a group, you could do drives. Most of the groups I know hunt this way. If you’re solo then I would try to find sign by acorns and Ag fields like already said.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:42 am

dan wrote:if you have crop fields or acorns you can set up on sign at food

X2
Also beech nuts, biggie for my area
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”