My 2021 Minnesota Bear Hunt

The Beast’s of the North woods. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PaPublicLandHunter

Re: My 2021 Minnesota Bear Hunt

Unread postby PaPublicLandHunter » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:18 am

Congratulations :clap:

Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:05 am

Any word on how the dans crew is doing?
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:18 am

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:Any word on how the dans crew is doing?

There about 1 hr away and no cell service
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:35 am

Congrats Mike, great talking with you guys the other day.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:27 am

Mike Foss wrote:

Gotcha, sorry wasn't trying to hijack your thread, congrats on your bear again!!
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:24 pm

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:
Mike Foss wrote:

Gotcha,sorry wasn't trying to hijack your thread, congrats on your bear again!!
It didn't cross my mind that you were, I am just as curious as you.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:51 am

First I want to thank one of my best friends Brian Bolssen for hunting with me all these years, the adventures have been endless, and making the 7-hour drive just to spend time and help out during my bear hunt, I thank you, my friend. Also want to thank old friends who drew bear tags and camped together, we all worked together and made memories that will last a lifetime. I also want to thank my guide Jimmy Wallner "Fall River Outfitters LLC" for putting on a bear great hunt, not just for me but for all his clients. His passion for bear hunting and the great outdoors is endless.

All hunts were either a DIY, semi-guided, and fully guided hunts, I personally wanted to experience a fully guided hunt, I NEEDED to personally know what after all my years as a past guide what my clients felt, the pre-hunt excitement, anxiety, emotions etc, and I didn't expect my hunt would end up all those things rolled up in one.

Let me start by saying the bear hunting is totally different than Wisconsin, the areas where Jimmy guides are remote, thick-n-nasty, it reminds me of parts of Canada, hunting strategies are different too, , even the bears are different. Minnesota rules and regulations are different so a hunter has to pay attention to those, baiting starts 3 weeks before the season, plenty of time to get active baits going.

Once baiting opened up first thing Jimmy likes to do is hang stands and most of those are done within two days, I believe he has over 40 bait stations, once those stands are set then he starts baiting, was glad to hear and see he uses the same baiting technique as I do, "very little bait" (Minnesota is unlimited) over the years his track record says it all. So when the pictures started rolling in my heart was set on hunting this remote area, its everything a bear hunter dreams of, it's very remote but when I arrived at bear camp he showed me a picture of a bear that just showed up at a different bait station.... it was a beautiful chocolate color phased bear with two small white blazes on its chest and an added bonus blond streak that runs down the middle of its back. Once I saw that picture all other bets were off, I didn't care if one of those other monster bears that he had on camera came strolling in they would get a eat for free pass and wouldn't be shot. I told my guide I was going to hunt that bear and only that bear.

On the day of the hunt, I was a little concerned that the target bear did not show at all the day before but reassured myself that this is bear hunting, things can change quickly I also was sure I would be entertained by other bears. I went in at around 1:30 was going to have my friend Brian bait for me while I settled in my stand but opted to have Jimmy do it instead, keep the same baiting routine as the bears are so acclimated to his scent and sounds. I gave Jimmy the thumbs-up signal that I was all settled him, thinking to myself as my guide walked by and out of sight, I am really hunting now, so this is what it feels like.

It wasn't but a few minutes since my guide left I took a picture of myself and sent it to my wife, I tucked my phone away and thought I'm going to take it out again and video pan the area, keep in mind my guide has not been gone 5 minutes when out of the corner of my left eye I see movement, I couldn't believe what was headed my way, it was the chocolate-colored bear I was after, my mind racing now, I can't believe this is going to happen and it was happening fast. There was no hesitation on her part, she only had one thing in mind she was there to fill her belly, she entered the shooting lane, stopped broadside and looked right at me but I already had the crosshairs of my muzzleloader on her. When the shot sounded off, I watched and heard her crash away but there was no death moan, then my heart started pounding with excitement, the emotions started kicking in, thinking to myself after all these years I am finally the hunter.

Jimmy has only been gone a few minutes when all this has happened, he was standing at the trucks with Brian when they heard the shot, jimmy glances at Brian with a surprised look on his face and says "you got to be kidding me". I text him to come back in which they were already on their way. I was very surprised there were only little drops of blood, only 15 yards from the bait tracking now we heard something crash and take off running, a sickening feeling started to develop in my stomach as I am thinking did I wound this bear.... my guide whispers to me that we are backing out and will return a couple of hours later.

Back at bear camp, the anxiety strikes me and it strikes me hard.... flashbacks of all the years of guiding, hundreds of bear hunters suddenly are piled and racing through my mind in seconds, I was emotionally drained, the sick feeling was so real, I relived the shot placement through my mind over and over again, I prayed to God, please let me find this bear.

A few hours later back on the blood trail it was Jimmy, Brian, and myself... we started finding more blood, one big spot that looked like lung blood, you could see where she bedded down, I looked ahead bobbing my head back and forth trying to get a better glimpse through the tangled thick brush and said, "pointing with my finger", Is that the bear. Standing over her all my emotions let loose, I was so mentally exhausted, I teared up, looked up at the sky, and said thank God.

So I now have experienced the other side of the coin as a bear hunter and not the guide. I have a better understanding of what they as the hunter go through prior to the hunt, during the hunt, and after the hunt, either successful or not, I got a little taste of it all. All those years guiding bear hunters and only two bears :clap: I have a lot of catching up to do. Thank you all for following along with me on my journey. Good Hunting! Mike

Image Image
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:02 am

After all these years following jimmy, I would consider his bear guide service to be the best Northern Minnesota has to offer. For an awesome bear hunt, please contact for details Jimmy Wallner at Fall River Outfitters LLC. jimw76@yahoo.com 218-387-2515 or 218-370-1097
He offers Fully Guided and Semi Guided hunts.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:06 am

Congrats! And great write up.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:09 am

I really enjoyed the story Mike and thought it was refreshing you did the fully guided option. After all the hard work you did for everybody else over the years you deserved to take it easy for a chance and just enjoy the hunt. Pretty darn cool killing your target bear too. 8-)
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:40 am

Great hunt and story Mike !
Congratulations :clap:
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:51 pm

Mike, I’m really happy for you. I’ve read most all your posts going back several years. Congratulations, great write up, and you deserved this one!
Persistence is undefeated.
Mike Foss
500 Club

Unread postby Mike Foss » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:59 pm

218er wrote:Mike, I’m really happy for you. I’ve read most all your posts going back several years. Congratulations, great write up, and you deserved this one!

Thank you
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:09 pm

Beautiful bear, and congrats.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:11 pm

Congratulations to you sir! Awesome looking bear. What are the plans for your mount?

• Advertisement

Return to “Bear Hunting”